Pc-engine sound hack!

Started by Rockard, March 02, 2006, 10:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockard

One aspect pf the pc-engine that I don't like, is the fact the when playing cdgames, it is often noticeable how crappy the soundfx sounds in comparence to the cd-audio. Especially in games like "Browning" and "Avenger", it is really disturbing the cd-music, since it also is too loud! KRSCHH KRSCHH, TRRP TRRP TRRP!

Argh!

So, I'm am starting to think about hacking the machine. Can anyone tell me where the hardware pcengine audiosignals comes from? From what chip?

I was thinking that maybe I can scratch the board, tap the signals, connect it to a pot, and then rewire it to the other end again. It will then be mixed in with the cdaudio, and outputted with lower volume SFX. aahh..

Any ideas?

NFG

There's an adio amp in every PCE/CoreGrafx, and there's a mixing chip in the CDROM/SuperCD.  Datasheets for these chips are easily found online.

D-Lite

QuoteThere's an adio amp in every PCE/CoreGrafx, and there's a mixing chip in the CDROM/SuperCD.  Datasheets for these chips are easily found online.
What we really need to find is the op amp responsible for only the redbook audio.  Any ideas on that?