Building NES to SNES cart adaptor

Started by KeepGood, February 09, 2005, 01:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeepGood

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of help in building a NES to SNES cart adaptor.  I've been looking for a project to do with one of the many SNES's I have kicking around.

I basically want to build a Tristar adaptor for the SNES (yeah I could buy one, but where is the fun in that ;-) )

I was reading a doc about the SNES CPU and about how its backward compatible with NES CPU instructions so surely there cant be much in building an adaptor?

Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated :-)

Cheers

atom

Yes, the SNES cpu is almost backwards compatible with the NES cpu. However there is much more to a computer's software then just its CPU. Console software's code relies on certain hardware devices being at different locations in memory, not only are these in different locations on the NES and SNES but the actual hardware is changed also.

The tristar adapter is much more then an adapter. It contains an entire NES system and an SNES program to bridge the connection between the two systems.

KeepGood, you can expirement with this by trying to open NES roms in an SNES emulator, it doesnt work.  
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN