GUIDE: Installing SCSI2SD on SCSI-2 X68000 systems EXTERNALLY ..

Started by leonk, December 30, 2017, 03:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonk

The following information is correct as of December 2017.  Keep in mind that my setup is unique to me and might not work for you.  My goal here is to have a working external solution as I have multiple X68K and would be easier to move the device between them.  Some systems don't even support internal HD without a lot of hacking (Compact, Red Zone, etc.)

NOTE: Consider this the up-to-date version of this document: https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:hard_drive_on_sasi_machine

NOTE: This guide is for the X68000 compact / Red Zone.  I wrote a similar guide for the original X68000 / tower.  The guide is almost the same except SCSI2SD setup is different based on what X68000 you are using.

Other X68000 guide:  https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6380.0

PreReq:

- SCSI2SD V5.0b
- 50 pin to DB-25 pin SCSI adapter (purchase at same time as SCSI2SD)
- (optional): 3D printed case for the 2 units
- SCSI-2 X68K system (I own the X68000 compact Red Zone edition)
- External cable:
  - My X68K has a SCSI-2 external Centronics (MC-50) connector.
   It is pin to pin direct pinout of the standard CN-50 / original SCSI connector, just smaller size.
  - You need a way to go from MC-50 to the 25 pin SCSI adapter.  You can use a single cable or in my case I went with an MC-50 male to CN-50 female converter and then used a standard CN-50 to DB-25 pin SCSI-1 cable (25 pin cable is male)

- When searching for above cables, keep the following in mind.  The MC-50 to CN-50 adapter is a SCSI-2 to SCS-1 converter.  The 3' SCSI cable is a SCSI-1 to DB-25 pin connector used by a lot of old Apple computers.

- Power:
  - NOT REQUIRED - SCSI2SD will get power from X68000
  - You will require a microUSB cable to program the SCSI2SD device in Windows
- MicroSD card:
  - Verified working with an 8GB card that was purchased at same time as SCSI2SD
  - Verified working with an old 1GB card as well

Software setup:

1) Create Hard Drive image on micro SD card:
- Download WinImage and install
- Download latest x68000 hard drive image from the x68000 FTP site (search for x68000v4.zip)
- unzip drive image and launch WinImage
- Make sure microSD card is now plugged into your computer (e.g. SD external card reader)
- from the "Disk" menu select "Restore Virtual Hard Drive image on Physical drive..."
- select the card reader
- make sure you're able to list all files
- navigate to where you opened x68000v4.zip and select X68000_V4.HDS
- It will take a few minutes to write the image to the micro SD card

Hardware setup:

1) Update and configure the SCSI2SD device
- download the following files from the SCSI2SD web site (http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD)

firmware_bundle-v4.7.01.scsi2sd
   scsi2sd-util.exe

- connect the SCSI2SD device via the microUSB cable to your computer and launch scsi2sd-util.exe
- from the File menu select "Upgrade Firmware..."
- select the above firmware file and let it update
- click on "Load from device" button
- On "General settings" tab:
     Startup delay = 0
     SCSI selection Delay = 255
     all options should be disabled
     you can enable SCSI-2 support if you want - this X68000 model will work with either
- On Device 1 tab:
     Device is enabled
     SCSI ID = 0
     Device Type = Hard Drive
     SD card start sector = 0
     sector size = 512
     sector count = 2048000
- click "Save to device" button
- click "Load from device" button to verify the settings have been stored

2) Put it all together
- 50 pin to 25 pin converter plugs into SCSI2SD
- MicroSD card plugs into SCSI2SD
- "SCSI cable" connects between X68K external hard drive port and SCSI2SD
- make sure there is no floppy in X68K and power on the system

Enjoy!

aarkay14

leonk

You can see pictures of my work on twitter.  I'm @leonkiriliuk

Max

Hi Leonk,

very good guide....now, as I am a newbie about Sharp x68k I only want to know if this excellent guide is valid for my model that is Sharp Pro II CZ-653C.
As I have just received a SCSI2SD with a 2gb micro card with all cables to plug it externally through centronics cable now I'd be ready to go but I certainly need a walkthrough since I do not want to commit any fatal mistake!!! I have read that it needs no direct power so getting it from the Sharp external connector but maybe this does notwork with my model ( if so I'll use the mob charger that has a 5v output) this could be an important step to skip, I was afraid of how to power it....and not to grill it! Now you have given me the solution....I'll be waiting for your answer/suggestion so to finally install everything correctly, I actually look forward to accomplishing it!
Thanks in advance

Max

leonk

When it comes to external SCSI on the X68000 there are 3 gotcha's that you need to keep in mind:

1) Where does the power come from. 

I would connect with SCSI only, when system powers on, the LED will turn on for a fraction of a second on the SCSI2SD.  This means it gets power from X68000.  If it doesn't, plug in the 5V external power (SCSI-1 systems mostly)

2) Is the SCSI2SD configured correctly.

The SCSI ID to be used is very important.  On older systems, it should be 3.  On newer systems that have no space for internal HD, I found 0 was required (as this was the default boot hard drive ID).  Setting 3 did not work on these.  But this assumed that your internal SCSI controller card was set to 7 (which I noticed is the default on my systems after SRAM is wiped).

Also, the max partition size of 1GB is very important above.  If not set, it did not work.  This was a missing step from older docs.

Max

for the power I'll check otherwise I have the 5v mob connector to bypass it

to configure my scsi2sd I really need help as I am a noob at it...The card I have just got was bought here https://www.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html
I'd need a step-by-step guide in order to not commit mistakes....I have been a Sharp owner for 60 days so I have played self-made floppies on it so far but damn I want to install and play all games through my new card....btw I have used win image to correctly format and put into the V4 image as described but I used a 2gb card so it means it will not work this way...tell me if and how I have to do sth different to make the correct partition on it....sorry for all my questions I'll find the way to the goal with your help, I'm sure!!! :)

leonk

the size of the SD card does not matter.  Win Image restores a 1GB partition to the SD card.  The rest is empty.  I tested with an old 1GB microSD and an old 8GB microSD card.

The most important thing is the Windows setup utility for the SCSI2SD device.  It must report to the computer that the device connected to the X68000 is a 1GB drive.  If you leave the default on, it will report the actual SD card size .. this is a problem because X68000 supports a max of 1GB drives.

Max

ok I'll check it soon!!
for whom it may concern the second part of the installation that is the hardware set up and config can I use your guide here or https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6380.0 for my Sharp model or you suggest me doing sth different?...so these days I'll give it a try and hope everything will turn out for the best... :)

Max

Does my model 653 Sharp Pro II need the installation of sasi driver or I could skip this procedure and go on with the hardware set up and enjoy ( I hope..) it? I have just prepped my card with winImage and put into the scsi2sd now plugged externally through centronics to the card....
last question, in your opinion does this centronics external port provide power to my scsi2sd or I hade better plug a 5v mob connector?
thanks again!!!

SuperDeadite

Pro II is SASI, so yes SxSI driver install from floppy disk is required.

Only the Super, XVI, XVI Compact, X68030, and X68030 Compact use actual SCSI.

Max

Quote from: SuperDeadite on January 04, 2018, 02:24:05 AM
Pro II is SASI, so yes SxSI driver install from floppy disk is required.

Only the Super, XVI, XVI Compact, X68030, and X68030 Compact use actual SCSI.

thank you, so I'll proceed with all the required steps to install and set it up!

Max

I successfully accomplished my mission so thanks Leonk for the exhaustive install guide and Superdeadite for the tip about SASI Machine, I only  have discovered this marveilous Japanese Computer for 2 months and in short I equipped myself with everything to get it turned out for the best, obviously with forum activities I cleared my doubts and chose for the best way to the goal.....actually thanks everyone working and having fun with this project!!!
Cheers
Max

Max

Sorry Leonk I may need your help, Yesterday as I wrote here I plugged my SCSI2SD successfully and I was able to see menus and play games but today sth strange has happened, started my sharp again and I had this error you may see in the attached pic. I should say that once I tested everything yesterday I unplugged my scsi2sd and put away safe in a box, then today I took it out and plugged again but here comes the strange things....could you help me out please?...
I tried to test myself and connect it  again to my pc to verify it and I noticed that the scsi2sd didn't have ( stored)the settings I put in yesterday....quite strange!! I set it again but it seems not to save the settings....I did both save and reload as in the guide and apparently successfully, I did not get any erros from my pc back.....maybe I have to re-do the operation of the micro sd card and put the image again?....Maybe I wouldn't have had to unplugged the scsi2sd yesterday?...( yet done with all the system switched off) I'm in the ocean now....please help me!!!

leonk

Max. You seem to be using the SASI bootloader. The instructions here are for SCSI machine.

Let's move this discussion to this thread:  https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6380.0

I'll help you figure this out. Start a new post there with firmware version and OS you are using to write to scsi2sd.

Max

Quote from: leonk on January 08, 2018, 10:13:44 AM
Max. You seem to be using the SASI bootloader. The instructions here are for SCSI machine.

Let's move this discussion to this thread:  https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6380.0

I'll help you figure this out. Start a new post there with firmware version and OS you are using to write to scsi2sd.

I did it!!
Thanks

Elrinth

Thank you so much for this guide. Will save it and mail it to myself cuz I can't view the forum from home :D
I'll be in touch how it worked.

Max

I have unplugged my scsi2sd so to play my floppies once again but at the bootloader even if I push on opt to force booting it asks me for the human.sys disk.....for sure If I put it into it works and gets me to A: what am I supposed to do now in order to play my games from floppies?....so to take the double boot option?

update: maybe floppies were corrupted I tried with final fight and it works great from floppies.....otherwise launching it from the scsi2sd menu does not work....I read that launching games from the HD requires more amount of memory and from floppies most of games eventually work fine...is it true?

repoMan

Yep, launching games from LHES (not scsi2sd menu ;) ) requires slightly more RAM than pure floppy use.

Max

Quote from: repoMan on January 21, 2018, 03:30:26 AM
Yep, launching games from LHES (not scsi2sd menu ;) ) requires slightly more RAM than pure floppy use.

yes I guessed....what do you mean launching from LHES?...I normally select the game on the menu then another pops up and I press enter on the "!start"...I do not know any further prodedures but I am all ears as actually right now I cansay that I'm involvedin this fabulous "sharp" world...
Cheers

ps: I wonder if there will be a v.5 version of the HD image with all optimised games in it....It would be awesome!!!

leonk

LHS is a menu program for those not familiar with the command line. When it launches a game, LHS still stays in RAM, hence why you need more.

you can always press ESC and quit to the command line. Find a good tutorial on DOS and you'll be fine on navigating HumanOS and launching games.

Max

Quote from: leonk on January 22, 2018, 01:44:05 AM
LHS is a menu program for those not familiar with the command line. When it launches a game, LHS still stays in RAM, hence why you need more.

you can always press ESC and quit to the command line. Find a good tutorial on DOS and you'll be fine on navigating HumanOS and launching games.

I'll be dealing  with it....I have been testing here and there for a month and I know it is a huge world this one...
tks Leonk! :)

Nicky Biscuit

Writing this from memory but I'm pretty sure you can launch games in "dos" from LHES, you go to the folder with the executable in then exit to root (or something like that). Not sure if LHES still stays in memory or not but thats how I launch from "Games3" and things seem to work. As I say writing from memory so I might be a little off.

Max

vanpeebles

I've been on for hours today trying to get the SCSI2SD working on the XVI and no luck at all! I've tried various SCSI IDs, and wrote numerous SD cards. When I power on the XVI, the SCSI2SD flashes for a second. I then set it as the boot device SCSI0 (also tried both at 3 etc.) Restarted the machine, and the SCSI2SD flashes like it's looking for something, then it just goes to the boot floppy.

If I set the wrong ID on switch.x, it doesn't flash the lights on restart, so I guess it kind of knows it's there. If i try running format.x, it has the drive at the ID number but when translated the text says not accessible or similar. I've followed the guide, over and over, but no luck sadly. Is there something I can run on the OS floppy to detect or display what is connected?

Help!  :-[

leonk

what is the connector on the system? big scsi 1 or small scsi 2?

Are you sure you set the 1gb limit correctly? What is the scsi ID in switch.x of the motherboard? (last option on the bottom). Lastly. what microSD card are you using and are you sure you restored the imagine correctly??

vanpeebles

Morning! :) Big SCSI I think. The four memory cards were Samsung Evo 16gb, Sandisk Ultra 4gb, Samsung 8gb and a Kingston 4gb. I followed the guide, and set the size to 2048000 etc. SCSI ID of the XVI is 7, you can't change that in switch.x, just beeps at you.

I used winimage with the restore option, also tried win32dskimager. I'll happily try some others though :) I've not used any x68000 emulators, is there a one what would run the data of the memory card, to test it?

samaron

The default settings for the SCSI2SD should work fine on the XVI. No need to change anything, just put in the SD card with appropriate HDD image on it and boot.

Looks like you're using a DB-25 adapter. Perhaps it omits some pins the X68000 would use? Tried with another cable that has all 50-pins in both ends?

EDIT: I see this is a guide for compact systems. My experience is with the regular model.

leonk

The big scsi connector doesn't have power (scsi 1). only the scsi 2 port has power.

try connecting a 5V power source to the scsi2sd (cell phone charger) and see if that helps.

vanpeebles

I do get some flashing lights, so I was thinking it was powered. I'll try a separate power source :)

Nicky Biscuit

I use the big SCSI lead to this Amikit device without external power and it works fine for me (This is on FM TOWNS though). I connect to it with a CN50 50-Pin Male to IDC50 50-Pin Female Ribbon Cable. If the lights are flashing it sounds like you're halfway there. Hope you find a solution as I'll probably use one of these when my Compact is repaired. When you write your image do you use WinImage (Administrator)? Also, although it shouldn't make a difference did you set the boot sequence in Switch.x to search for SCSI devices first? You can always hold Opt1 on bootup to force it to check FDD first.

vanpeebles

Fingers crossed! :) I wonder if it's worth trying one of those cables instead. I changed the boot from STD to SCSI0 (or what ever I set the SCSI ID on the SCSI2SD). I'll try some power first anyway :)

samaron

Quote from: leonk on February 19, 2018, 03:50:18 PM
The big scsi connector doesn't have power (scsi 1). only the scsi 2 port has power.
It does provide power on the XVI, at least. Not sure how it is on SASI computers.

Max

vanpeebles

Lol connected my Raspberry Pi PSU, and it worked first time! ;D All that time battling, and it just needed more power!

leonk

FWIW your XVI is a SCSI machine but has external SCSI-1 connector. The SCSI-1 guide I wrong does say to use an external power supply. :)

Enjoy your SCSI2SD!!!

Nicky Biscuit

vanpeebles

Quote from: leonk on February 20, 2018, 12:55:12 PM
FWIW your XVI is a SCSI machine but has external SCSI-1 connector. The SCSI-1 guide I wrong does say to use an external power supply. :)

Enjoy your SCSI2SD!!!

Hehe, I never saw that bit :( Just the bit about if it flashes, it will be powered. So many different X68000s  ;D

Elrinth

I have a SCSI2SD 5.0A board, and I simply cannot get it working with my X68k Compact. If I connect it, I don't ever get any image. If I have it connected and put in a human68k floppy, the floppy will only load for a short time. If I disconnect it, the floppy will finish loading.

I have setup the scsi2sd 5.0a with the settings explained in this. I have tried with both just cable between x68k company and the scsi2sd, and also with usb power... no difference.
Do I have to make some kind of manual termination with this board?

here is img of my scsi2sd:
https://imgur.com/a/R0DxFN5

in switch.x i have STD as boot and scsi id in bottom set same as the scsi2sd, it just wont work.

maybe something is wrong with the actual cable wiring? :)

Max

did you set everything on switch.x?...maybe the problem is here to get it seen by the system if all other steps have been done so far!!

leonk

compacts are known to have bad surface mount capacitors on the main board Are you sure your x68k is fully functional??