News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

PCMCIA Card Usage

Started by famiac, July 25, 2017, 04:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famiac

Hi guys, I purchased a PCMCIA SRAM which I want to hopefully use with my FMT according to this guide here

The problem I'm currently facing is that I've never used this technology before, and so I don't really know how to connect this card to one of my old PCs for data transfer. Can anybody provide details?
Thanks!

skpstmgs

I know old laptops would normally come with a PCMCIA slot. I gave it a quick google search, and it looks like there are PCI adapters for PCMCIA cards, but I'm not sure which ones would work with Windows 98, or if Win98 is even required in all cases - I just skimmed over the pdf and don't have experience with these.

kendrick

PCMCIA, JEIDA and Compact Flash are pin-convertible and protocol compatible, and the magic search term you want for USB adapters that cover all three would be 'PC Card'. However, you'll want to make sure that you get something that handles all the hardware capabilities, as most of the adapters that were popular all those years ago were only for flash memory. I need to stop short of making a specific recommendation because I don't really have any experience with the FM Towns hardware to know for sure what's truly compatible.