New user : need SxSI boot disk (or alternative)

Started by Pantman, June 20, 2017, 06:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pantman

Hi there,

I finally picked up an x68000 ACE from Yahoo Auction on a recent trip to Japan. One of my hobbies is repairing old video game and arcade hardware, so I got a broken one for ¥6000 which has a MIDI interface, and 1MiB expansion. I also picked up a keyboard and an Roland MT-32.

I opened it up, and replaced the power capacitors. The battery was dead and leaking, and some traces nearby were broken. I've ordered a new battery, which should arrive this week. I'll repair the traces once the new battery is in.

My next problem will be getting the thing to boot. I have an SCSI2SD board, which I intend to use in the x68000. However, I currently have no way of writing 5.25" floppy disks. I also don't have a desktop PC (I use a Mac at home).

Does anyone know where I can order a SxSI boot disk? I live in the UK.

I'm really looking forward to getting this up and going. I work in a very geek oriented office, and am looking forward to showing this off to all the old Amiga fanboys! 8)

Thanks!

kamiboy

Try asking on various fb Japanese PC groups, such as Computer Otaku.

SuperDeadite

Anyone with an HDD/CF/SD setup can write this disk for you.
I'd be happy to make one but, I live in Japan, and sending such a simple disk
overseas seems a bit silly.

Pantman

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the offers of help! SuperDeadite - if no one can help in the UK, would it be possible to make me a disk? I don't mind paying for shipping etc. I'm afraid I don't yet know anyone with an x68000 in the UK...

Many thanks!

neko68k

There have been UK users here in the past. I don't know where they all went ;_;

kamiboy

I live in the EU and I have one of these disks in the mail on its way to me. I have very few working 5"  floppy disks and I am not much for letting one of these precious things out of my hand, but I guess I could make a copy of the disk and mail it to the UK if no one else can.

Pantman

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help. I managed to find a friend who has a PC with and old 5.25" floppy drive. He's written the disks for me now.

Thank you!!!