News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Video Capture

Started by emerald danjon, June 19, 2017, 12:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emerald danjon

Hi all,
i want ask about if is posible use one of this Video Capture for PC for capture X68000,
one of this with VGA in can work?,or is needed any special requirement?,

and other stuff,one of this VGA to HDMI would work with X68000?

Huge thanks in advance :).
Greetings.

SuperDeadite

Not really sure what you mean.  The simplest way to do high-quality captures is an XPC-4 fed into the capture card of your choice.  The XPC handles all the weirdness and outputs whatever you want it to.

emerald danjon

Thanks for the reply,my question is:
if i have one of this USB Video capture,with VGA IN ¿could work with the X68000?

and my other question is

if i use one of this common devices for use VGA on HDMI port ¿could work with the X68000?
i understand only on 31 khz if the TV cant handle other frequencies...,
thanks.

SuperDeadite

If you plan to plug the system straight into a VGA or HDMI capture card, there really is no way to know unless you find someone who has already tried that exact model.

X68K's 31khz runs in exotic resolutions (512x512 and 768x512) and the system runs at 55khz.

emerald danjon

neko68k

It's also possible as a developer to set all the CRTC video timings by hand, so to speak. So the front porch, back porch, h/v sync timing, etc. Capcom has done this for sure to produce resolutions with square pixel aspect ratios. 55hz is the typical vertical refresh rate but it can actually be a variety of rates. I've managed to get 30hz, 60hz and everything in between and then some. I'll be damned if I can't get 320x200 to work, but that's another story ;)

emerald danjon

neko68k
exists some kind of instruction for launch a program in 15 khz or 31 khz?.something like in the MSX for the Mhz 50/60?,
thanks for the info.

neko68k

Not simply from the command line that I know of. It might be possible in some cases with a bit more work. For games that use IOCS for video mode changes and don't do anything fancy; IOCS calls can be hooked and in theory you could tell it to run any mode you want instead of the mode requested. Neill Corlett's LCDFix uses this technique, it's on the FTP with source if you'd like to look. For games that don't use IOCS and set the CRTC registers manually, you'd have to patch the game itself, probably no one is going to ever do this :)

What effect this would have on a game, there's no telling really. Whether this would even really help with capture, I don't know. I'd guess not really since the timings overall are a bit odd. They can be tweaked but it is a potentially dangerous exercise, particularly if you run a CRT.

You're really going to want to pass your video through an XPC, XRGB, OSSC, or similar device to really do any capture. Everything else is just hacks that at best worst may not work and at worst worst might damage your equipment.

emerald danjon

It was just curiosity... :),for X68000 i use NEC XM2950,but mine have some minor damage and 15khz dont work perfect,
have some kind of problem for fit the 15khz and the image is on little movement...,but is really easy in this condition change in options menu of the Programs to 31khz...so  :)
thanks for replies guys.