Write .d88 images to Floppy

Started by costa, June 01, 2017, 12:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

costa

How I do that?
mkimg does not seem to like these images files.

SuperDeadite

What .d88 are you trying to write?
Let me guess... XX-Files R?
XX-Files R uses 2HS disk format.
MKIMG only supports 2HD format.
You need to use DPACK to write 9 sector formats (2HS, 2HDE)

costa

Hi.

OS-9 disk images from the repository here at nfggames.

costa

Ok, just tried using dpack.
I format in .2hs and 2hde format, then wrote the disk image to floppy. This process kind of work, but at the end there is some error message.

When try to boot, X68 does not like the floppy, and ejects it.
In some cases there is a message on screen: 9SCIPL and the usual "insert boot diskette" appear on screen.

I also tried the OS9 HD image, but it is SASI image, and does not boot on my X68030.

:(

Quote from: SuperDeadite on June 02, 2017, 12:47:12 AM
What .d88 are you trying to write?
Let me guess... XX-Files R?
XX-Files R uses 2HS disk format.
MKIMG only supports 2HD format.
You need to use DPACK to write 9 sector formats (2HS, 2HDE)

SuperDeadite

OS-9 uses it's own custom disk format.  I have an original boxed release of it, and while the floppies aren't protected, the only way I've been able to copy them is by using OS-9's own disk copy program.  Never gotten images to work.  Honestly you aren't missing much though, unless you love playing with unix-like (OS-9 isn't unix, but close enough) systems, it's rather pointless.

.d88 was used, because the format has no restrictions, so it can accept the weird exotic formats.

neko68k

NetBSD is more "practical", if there is such a thing on a 30 year old computer ;) It's up to date-ish and still maintained-ish. ~shrug~

costa

Quote from: SuperDeadite on June 02, 2017, 09:15:03 AM
OS-9 uses it's own custom disk format.  I have an original boxed release of it, and while the floppies aren't protected, the only way I've been able to copy them is by using OS-9's own disk copy program.  Never gotten images to work.  Honestly you aren't missing much though, unless you love playing with unix-like (OS-9 isn't unix, but close enough) systems, it's rather pointless.

.d88 was used, because the format has no restrictions, so it can accept the weird exotic formats.

I wonder... what's the point of creating a disk image we are not able to restore... (?)

Anyway, OS-9 is a "exotic" OS that I always wanted to play with... besides it has a 6809 version (for Tandy Color Computers) which I love as well... I would like to do some basic exploration, I like playing with weird stuff :)

Mjc45131

I'm trying to do the same, were you ever able to do this? Would love to get boot disks, thanks!