LCD monitors with 15k support

Started by leonk, February 08, 2019, 10:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonk

I think at this point it’s a unicorn. Using popular 15khz lists found online, I managed to find and purchase a Samsung SyncMaster 915N.

It works great with X68k and 31k/480p games. But can’t sync to 15khz/240p games. I get the blinking no signal light.

darn it. At least now I have a big 19” 4:3 LCD. ðŸ˜,

JulBS0

Hi,

An interesting model might be the Mitsubishi MDT242WG, which works quite well with 31kHz signals (LCDFIX might be needed though), and according to the following web page, accepts the 24kHz mode:
http://garakuta.homelinux.org/~nosuke/diary/diary.html?y=2010&m=5&d=7&n=1

It *should* be compatible with 15kHz modes, since my Famicom and my original Xbox works flawlessly on it (I connected them to the composite input however).
I won't able to test it with the X68000 15kHz modes until at least mid-March, sadly.

The only drawbacks I've found with this display are:

- It's HEAVY. The display is well built but it weighs 10 or 12kg.
- They only released in Japan.

So expect high shipping fees (I paid around 110â,¬ of shipping to France, proxy buyer fees included), and hope for a safe travel if the the unit was not in the original box.

frankmonk

The Mitsubishi does line double and process the composite signal which adds even more lag to the output.

trixster

To add to the list of non-workers: I have a few dell 2001fp monitors which work great at 15khz with my Amiga and Atari and Acorn machines but will not display X68000 15khz...

vanpeebles

leonk

Quote from: trixster on February 09, 2019, 12:35:06 AM
To add to the list of non-workers: I have a few dell 2001fp monitors which work great at 15khz with my Amiga and Atari and Acorn machines but will not display X68000 15khz...

Really!?  That is interesting.  The list I was using was for Amiga.  How do you suggest I test 15khz on this LCD monitor? What device does RGBHV @ 15khz??  I though Amiga is RGBS (I connect it to my PVM using SCART cable that has composite sync)

Max

Hey Leon,

some time ago  a reliable French guy, maybe is around in the forum here, told me that the NEC MultiSync® LCD1970NXp worked flawlessly with every game but I did not tested it personally since a friend of mine offered me his old CRT working great with all MHZ....and so I decided not to buy it anymore.....just give yourself a try....!

neko68k

Quote from: leonk on February 09, 2019, 04:04:57 AM
Quote from: trixster on February 09, 2019, 12:35:06 AM

Really!?  That is interesting.  The list I was using was for Amiga.  How do you suggest I test 15khz on this LCD monitor? What device does RGBHV @ 15khz??  I though Amiga is RGBS (I connect it to my PVM using SCART cable that has composite sync)

There is this signal generator thing. that GORRY made for testing monitors with the various timings.

[edit]
He's also got some limited testing data.

hyrulebr

Hi Leon

I can say about two monitors:

Black one is Sunray 170 (it's a thin client but have an external video in)
https://www.cnet.com/products/sun-ray-170-ultra-thin-client-all-in-one-0-gb-lcd-17/specs/

31khz confirmed (cropped image in the bottom - see picture)
15khz confirmed
24khz I don't remember and I sold it  :-[

White one is NEC AccuSync 71V 17"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbIrNzV_k_E

31khz confirmed (cropped image in the bottom - see picture)
15khz confirmed
24khz confirmed

The Nec I found last year brand new sealed at Ebay for $ 40. Maybe you can still source it. ;)

leonk

I wish I can find this LCD. If you ever come across one let me know please.

leonki@gmail.com

thegirlg33k

What's the best game/program to test out 15kHz and 24kHz with?

frankmonk

Baraduke or Fantasy Zone for example

mattsoft

Now that my ACE is running (thanks to leonk for the boot disk) and I can boot into some games off of the SCSI2SD, I can confirm that the NEC EA190M mostly works.

The NEC EA190M is a 19" LCD with VGA and DVI input. I use it to test Amigas and Atari STs on the workbench.

Connected to the ACE:

At 30kHz, it works great.

At 15kHz, it works well, though I had to manually adjust the horz and vert size and pos. I can get it nicely centered and to fill most of the screen, but still get a few rows of pixels cut off the top and bottom.

Have not tried 24kHz yet.

Overall, the picture is good looking, but won't win any awards. The monitor is rotatable (doesn't help this situation) and does have built-in speakers which is handy.

BlueBMW

Leonk, where are you located?  I have several of the NEC accusync LCDs (71V)  It might be cost prohibitive to ship if you're outside the United States.

leonk