News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

AfterBurner MIDI Patch

Started by llioncourt, May 22, 2017, 05:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llioncourt

Just after trying Space Harrier's MIDI patch I got amused, and began to look for more things like those.
Looking on the patch archive I've found that there is one for AfterBurner2.

From what I (and for I, I mean Google translate) could understand on the enclosed documentation, one must provide the midi files, and use an application called ablink.x to create ab2m.dat.

I got the files from sst band website (actually I used the mirror on archive.org: http://web.archive.org/web/20080225040436/http://www.sst-band.com:80/midi/aburner.html). and create the "config" file.

When I try to use ablnk the return it shows says: (again, Google Translate) that the Config file is wrong. So I got stuck...

Anyone already did this?

Best.

trixster

I'm looking for the answer to this too!

Anyone out there patched this successfully and can shed light on exactly how the configuration file should look, and also what the read.txt file should include too?

Thanks!

I think the problem is I have downloaded the same midi files as llioncourt has above, and these are incorrect. So if anyone knows a link for the correct midi files then please share!

trixster

Hmm, I have managed to find some different midi files but still no luck, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

If I purposefully rename one of the midi files incorrectly then ablnk.x throws an error saying it can't find the the correct midi file, so ablnk is definitely doing something (I assume scanning for the 6 correctly named midi files prior to then working on them?).

Looking at SuoerDeadite's YouTube video on midi AB2, it appears he uses read.txt to list the names of the midi files - I've tried similar but again, no joy.

So I think it's a matter of me still not having the right files.

trixster

One step further....

By leaving read.txt blank i can get ablnk.x to complete and ab2m.dat is created.

However launching the game I now immediately get an Illegal Instruction error on the static title screen. So the new abipl.x file is crashing before abram.x is executed.

So no closer to a solution! I can only assume there's still something wrong with the midi files themselves, and the midi driver is crapping out when it tries to play them at the title screen?

trixster

Perhaps an incompatibility with my midiori midi board?

incrediblehark

What driver are you using for midi?

Edit: just jumping into this blindly, I don't have the files or the patching utility. But does ablnk.x need the list in read.txt to process the midi files? By leaving it blank would you just be telling the program that there are no tracks to link to, which is why it would finish and create the ab2m.dat file?

trixster

The patch includes a midi driver to use, so I'm using that :)

The configuration file that you make lists the file names of the midi files and then the name of a 'text' file at the end. If my understanding is correct, the text file is just used to display a message on the loading static splash screen when the game is booting.

Just seen your PM - I'll message you this evening and upload a link to the patch file, the midi files and the translated instructions

incrediblehark

I learned a lot about this... the midi files need to be set up a specific way. The attached MIDI_TOOLS.LZH has everything you need to do this, and very detailed instructions (in Japanese). I found a version that has the midi patch already installed and will include it in my latest HDD release.

trixster

Thanks @incrediblehark , the modified version works great from floppy disks! I can't seem to get it working with 2HDBOOT just yet but I'll keep trying. The midi tracks from this modded version sound superb through an SC-55.

rezb1t

I spent some time and managed to get it working as well, though most of the tracks play way too fast on my SC-55, to the point that they sound broken. Not sure if this is a side effect of using aje_fr's midi board or if it is my SC-55.

I even tried rebuilding with completely different midi files, and my X68000 still has the same issue of playing the midis too fast.

I also tried setting the clock switch to 10mhz and rebooting, same issue.

Also I tried the same disk image with After Burner on it in XM6 Type G and there's no tempo issues there, with either set of midis

trixster

I'm using an sc-55 mk2 with a midiori board in my XVI. At 16mhz the midi plays at the correct speed.

rezb1t

Quote from: trixster on December 10, 2023, 04:14:30 AMI'm using an sc-55 mk2 with a midiori board in my XVI. At 16mhz the midi plays at the correct speed.
Thanks, not sure why I'm having this issue. I have a regular SC-55 which is running v1.21 firmware. I know the mk2 has more sound channels and some other upgrades and that might be the key difference here.

incrediblehark

My apologies, I haven't had a chance to work with this much yet, but hope to have some time today.

rezb1t - excellent guide on how to use the patch over in the aje MIDI card thread! You should post them here as well.

rezb1t

Quote from: incrediblehark on December 10, 2023, 06:29:04 AMMy apologies, I haven't had a chance to work with this much yet, but hope to have some time today.

rezb1t - excellent guide on how to use the patch over in the aje MIDI card thread! You should post them here as well.

Thanks!! Here it is:

To run the MIDI patch, do the following:

Look for MIDI_TOOLS.zip attached to a forum post by incrediblehark in this thread (page 1).

You'll need to put this file on your X68000 hard drive and extract it, then run toMML.x on each of the .RCP files included. After this, run mcv.x on each of the .MDL files. Then once you have all 6 .mdi files generated, a config file must be generated as shown:

red.mdi
maximum.mdi
final.mdi
super.mdi
after.mdi
c202.mdi
read.txt

Make sure there is an extra line after read.txt in your config text file.

Also make a read.txt file and put whatever message you would like to appear at the launch of After Burner II.

After Burner II MIDI for SC-88

then run ablnk.x <config file name>

if all went well, it should generate ab2m.dat. From here, you need to copy ab2m.dat, ab2m.x, ab2mus.x and abipl.x over to Disk A of After Burner II and overwrite the existing files.

After this, launch After Burner.