RAM Expansion for XVI Compact (CZ-674C-H)

Started by llioncourt, May 05, 2017, 08:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llioncourt

I need some help on this.
Here is what I know:

This model has 2MB Internal built in;
It has an internal memory Expansion (mine is empty)
I know the non Compact model must have 2MB before using I/O boards for memory expansion.

Here is what I need to know:

Is it mandatory for the Compact to populate this Internal memory expansion slot before using the I/O Boards?
If so, what are the available boards for this?
If not what are the tried are true I/O boards for memory expansion on the Compact?

I bought a XMonster Blue and It's not working, I even hangs Castlevania if the board in attached to my system.

I'll really appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks!

SuperDeadite

No, you can just throw an XsimmX into a slot and have 12mbs.  The internal expansion is optional.  All i/o slot boards should work, though some of the older ones can't run at 16mhz bus speeds, meaning the ram works, but runs slower then the newer boards.

What is an XMonster Blue? Never heard of it.

llioncourt

XMonster Blue is a Brazilian Memory Expansion, that's very cheap (less than USD 100) and accepts 72pin SIMM RAM. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te1fC2b37vU - The video is in portuguese, but you can see the board, and memtest68k running on it).

So apparently it doesn't work on the Compact.

What are my options then? Whats memory expansion is recommended, and more important, available?

Thanks again SuperDeadite!

SuperDeadite

From what I have seen here it should work fine on a Compact.
After installing the board have you setup your RAM correctly in switch.x?
Try running the system at 10mhz with it installed.
Have you tried reseating the board a few times?  (Push it all the way in, then pull it back out by 1mm).
Have you confirmed that your slots actually work?  The compacts especially tend to have issues with slots not working due to various reasons. 

llioncourt

Yes, I've set SWITCH for the correct amount, but nothing changed.
After your suggestions I tried both: Use it on the 10mHz mode, and reseating. No luck.
I have a MIDI board and tried it on both slots, it works fine on both, I not sure if that alone qualifies for a working slot.

Elrinth

llioncourt

You mean, as such it wouldn't hold the changed settings on SWITCH?
The machine was modded to use a CR2032, I know this doesn't mean that it's not dead, but when I save the settings, I reboot the computer and the changes are still there.
So I believe that the battery is ok, or Is there another better way to test it?

Elrinth

Quote from: llioncourt on May 06, 2017, 11:03:58 PM
You mean, as such it wouldn't hold the changed settings on SWITCH?
The machine was modded to use a CR2032, I know this doesn't mean that it's not dead, but when I save the settings, I reboot the computer and the changes are still there.
So I believe that the battery is ok, or Is there another better way to test it?
yeah that's what I wanted to know. seems your battery is okay then.