CF Aztecmonster internal installation in XVI?

Started by dos, December 20, 2015, 08:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dos

I currently have an X68K compact and I run my Aztecmonster externally in a SCSI enclosure. I'm getting ready to sell it though and have an XVI coming to me. I understand with these machines you can install the Aztecmonster internally, something I'd love to do since I hate the bulk of my SCSI enclosure. I'm just wondering what the process is to do this, is there any cable I should pick up in advance and where can I get it? Thanks!

BlueBMW

If your XVI comes with a hard drive cable already in it (XVI HD model) then you wont need anything at all.  If its just an XVI and hasn't had the hard drive cable added then you will need to find or make a hard drive cable.  I dont really know where you'll find one to buy.  I've always had to fabricate them.  There is a guide in the wiki describing the cables.  Not sure about the Aztec Monster but I know the SD2SCSI will actually power off the scsi interface cable and wont need an external power supply.  The aztec monster might, in which case you will need to find an adapter or cut off and wire in a molex connector to the hard drive power plug inside the case.

corpsicle

In your post you say its a XVI Compact, and there are at least two great articles on that subject.
http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:internal_scsi_and_cf_card_mod
And the Painkilla one linked from that.
Also you have my thread from a few weeks ago for some random ramblings on the matter.

dos

Quote from: corpsicle on December 23, 2015, 05:36:46 AM
In your post you say its a XVI Compact, and there are at least two great articles on that subject.
http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:internal_scsi_and_cf_card_mod
And the Painkilla one linked from that.
Also you have my thread from a few weeks ago for some random ramblings on the matter.

I said I have a compact right now but am selling it and have a full size XVI on the way to me, sorry if it was unclear :)

Thank you both for the information, if anybody here can sell me a premade HDD cable or point me to where I can get them it would be really appreciated! Sadly the model I'm getting is not the HD, and I would have no idea where to begin building a cable, I'm garbage at stuff like that, my hobby is just playing video games. If there's a good tutorial on cable building somewhere for a total newbie to it or if someone could post detailed instructions for a moron and a parts list I would definitely give it a shot if all the parts are easy to come by.

costa

I've done several of these adaptations with AztecMonster and SCSI2SD but all using external power supply (off the psu, of course internal to the case).
I might try the SCSI2SD without power supply, I did not now about this.

Quote from: BlueBMW on December 21, 2015, 01:57:54 PM
If your XVI comes with a hard drive cable already in it (XVI HD model) then you wont need anything at all.  If its just an XVI and hasn't had the hard drive cable added then you will need to find or make a hard drive cable.  I dont really know where you'll find one to buy.  I've always had to fabricate them.  There is a guide in the wiki describing the cables.  Not sure about the Aztec Monster but I know the SD2SCSI will actually power off the scsi interface cable and wont need an external power supply.  The aztec monster might, in which case you will need to find an adapter or cut off and wire in a molex connector to the hard drive power plug inside the case.

BlueBMW

I discovered using the scsi cable for power by accident.  I had forgot to plug the power cable into the board and when i powered the system up it still operated like it should.

Building a cable is a little tricky....  I need to order the right tools so i can just do them in bulk.

meidogai

Hi,

After trying to build the cable myself (didn't go great) I've given up for the time being. I was contemplating having one of these: http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:internal_scsi_and_cf_card_mod built but the ExpressPCB format is throwing me off. (If anyone knows how to convert ExpressPCB to Eagle or some standard PCB file format without paying lots of $ to ExpressPCB, please let me know.)

Just stumbled on this old thread and hoping that someone has produced some of these cables.

SkyeWelse

There is a guy who makes these cables off of Yahoo Japan and they are pretty nicely made but run about 5000 yen. I didn't see any available right now, but they have popped up many times which leads me to believe that he makes these in batches.

Hope that can be of help. If I do come across it for sale, I'll post the link here or send you a PM.

-Thomas

Pinwizkid

I realize this is an old thread that got resurrected, but figured these were relevant. Here's some photos on how I installed my Aztecmonster. I'd recommend getting a piece of plastic and making a mount. You should have some space next to the power supply and there are some screw holes there as well. The Aztecmonster does require separate power input and the rainbow scsi hard drive cable (as others have stated, this is not a common item unfortunately...)

meidogai

Quote from: SkyeWelse on July 11, 2017, 02:18:24 PM
There is a guy who makes these cables off of Yahoo Japan and they are pretty nicely made but run about 5000 yen. I didn't see any available right now, but they have popped up many times which leads me to believe that he makes these in batches.

Hope that can be of help. If I do come across it for sale, I'll post the link here or send you a PM.

-Thomas

Thank you for keeping an eye out for these.