News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Technos Games Hanging

Started by llioncourt, April 09, 2017, 04:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llioncourt

Hi, everyone!
I got my x68000 Compact about a month ago, and I'm still learning a lot of things.
It has a SX-68M-2 System SACOM Corp midi card (but I don't have the roland module), 2MB of RAM.
So far I noticed that the floppy drives are a little unstable, and the front phone jack has some really bad contact issues. The rear jack only output mono, I wonder if it has issues too.

It has a CF adapter and it's working perfectly, I even been able to upload new images and patches for the v4 hdd file.

But....

Both Technos games I've tried (River City Ransom & VBall) just hang... I tried to mess with subst a little to no avail...

IS there anything I can do? Thanks in advance.

SuperDeadite

The 2 games you mentioned will not work correctly on SCSI based machines.  They only work when run off of flash correctly when using an older SASI based computer.  If you want to play these off a Compact, you will need to write the games to actual floppies.

llioncourt

llioncourt

Finally made it! My FDD is in really bad shape. I tried to copy the whole dir to a formated 1.2Mb disk, to no avail.
It always hanged mid operation. So here is what I did:

1. Formatted the disk on b: with the /s option to transfer system files;
2. Copied COMMAND.X for its root dir;
3. Copied autoexec.bat from the CF to save me some hassle, it has the PATH command, by using LHES to do the next step;
4. Boot up the machine with the disk on the drive, now the FDD which was b: is actually a: and the CF, which was a: is now c:
5. Copied !start.bat from the game's dir to the floopy root;
6. Used LHES to update the path of the subst command;

Voila! Happy playing RCR with the good old "boot disk"

llioncourt

Oh and BTW it works with Vball as well, but since the !Start.bat for vball had only the executable (vbl.x), I had to copy the !start.bat from rcr, which already had the subst command (I know, I know, I could just type it again, but why bother) and replace both, path and executable file, to the vball.

Now, I got 2 extra games that were not playable on my machine :)

SuperDeadite

If you have a CF/SD HDD setup, there is no need to do all that lol.
Just add the xdf images from the internet to your image.  Unless the game has special protection,
(Capcom games, Y2), you can use disk writing software to write the image to disk directly on the x68000 itself.  MKIMG is included in the NFG image and is easy to use, just search the forum.
DPACK is a better more powerful program, but requires a bit more setup to get it going, however it has much better compatibility as it supports exotic 9-sector formats (2HDE, 2HS), used by later doujin games such as Illumination Laser.