News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

RaSCSI

Started by neko68k, March 20, 2017, 02:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neko68k

We have a new gift from GIMONS. RaSCSI. It's a SCSI device emulator running on a Raspberry Pi. It emulates HD, MO and CD-ROM using HDS or ISO. It also emulates an Ethernet device usable with the included driver and should be working with our existing guide for Neptune-X and Nereid. Pre SCSI devices may be working with SxSI but it is reported as untested at the moment.

http://www.geocities.jp/kugimoto0715/rascsi/index.html

costa

Good call, Neko68K.

I just read this on Hackaday, and went to check the japanese page. Looks promising. Then I decide to check if it was already known overhere since it has some time since I last logged in to the forum.
I am currently working on a project for another Platform (MSX) which involves also Raspberry Pi being used as storage device. In my solution for MSX, I decided to keep Linux, and develop the application on top of it. This proves a good solution in the sense that is allows quick development since all drivers are available on Linux at the cost of huge performance penalties.
Programing for a Pi bare metal is proved to be an exceptional solution in terms of perfomance (got a friend that implemented HDMI for Spectrum using this method), however, you don't have any driver to access Pi resources such as SD and network.

Interesting enough,  GIMONS  also implemented the solution on top of Linux (jessie distribution), recommends not enabling the graphical desktop, and disable all unnecessary services - same on my project.

This is a project everyone should take a look, despite of all limitations involved it might be a great solution to use with X68000.

neko68k

I think the biggest selling points are that you can mount multiple devices with it, they are accessable over SMB, and that it can act as a SCSI ethernet unit also. That's a knockout trio no matter the performance hit IMO.