Opinion about X68000 Ace HD

Started by popolon_hinotori, February 17, 2017, 07:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popolon_hinotori

Hi everyone.

I have a question, I could buy a X68000 Ace HD for a good price, but I don`t know if this model its the best option.
I bought Compact XVI a few months ago and I had to many problems with it (still have it)

So, I would like if its a good option buy Ace HD, It will have a same problem with capacitors in Ace HD? I mean, Ace HD have same solid capacitors? or use normal capacitors?

thanks

SuperDeadite

All machines need the caps replaced.  Compacts just use a different type that tend to leak easier.

kamiboy

All X68000 models require the power supply caps replaced. This is pretty much obligatory.

For Compacts one must also exchange the motherboard SMD caps as those are known to leak and corrode. However, I do not think exchanging all other caps but the ones in the power supply is strictly necessary. It is recommended to at least exchange the floppy drive capacitors.

All in all, if you want to circumvent such headaches I suggest buying a serviced model that already has had its caps replaced.

popolon_hinotori

Kamiboy, where I could buy x68000?

right now, I could buy ACE HD in good condiction with original box, 2 MB RAM without Aztecmonster....its a good option?

thanks

kamiboy

I wouldn't recommend buying an X68000 that has not had its capacitors changed. I have 4 here right now that I am replacing capacitors on and it is a pain in the ass.

You can find serviced models, or refreshed as they call them, on yahoo auctions, directly from japan. Get one that has been fully serviced and confirmed to work, then save yourself a lot of future headaches.

popolon_hinotori

In this moment I have a compact XVI to change caps....A good friend make that sacriface for me, I started to change it and I broke 3 tracks.

I know the problem with caps, in fact Ace HD that I can buy caps isn`t change yet, But I read on internet that change caps in this model its.....more easy than compact XVI? solid caps are evil....

Its curious, in compact model caps seem to be in good condition, no leak (acid)...looks like a new caps, I think I broke up the caps with welder.

By the way, buy in yahoo auctions only with intermediary, right?

thanks again!

kamiboy

The SMD caps in the Compact models do not leak in the same way as the through hole ones. You'll notice the leak only after you remove them, or from that distinct capacitor fluid smell as you remove them.

As for buying from Japan, yes, pretty much have to use a proxy service for that.

X-Col

Hiya,

I own both an Ace HD and Compact XVI. I found that I use the Ace HD regularly and the Compact got relegated to the cupboard.

The Ace is a great machine and I love using it. Once you change all caps and PSU, it is a solid performer and I 'love' mine.

I think everyone has their own favourite machine, for different reasons. The Ace is mine. Built like a Tank!