Question about sound capacitors of X68000 compact XVI

Started by popolon_hinotori, February 17, 2017, 03:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popolon_hinotori

Hi everyone!

I`m a new member here and I have a question about compact XVI and sound capacitors.

I bought a compact a few months ago and my problem its with sound. computer sounds very low even in Roland SC-55. I asked and all the people said that the problem its with capacitors.
I tried to remove all capacitors from the mainboard but some tracks "jumped" (sorry about my english), at the moment I have 3 tracks broken.

I wanted to change every capacitor of the mainboard but is the worst idea...so I would like if someone knows which capacitors are the sound and change these.

thanks! and sorry about my english!

kamiboy

Capacitors won't effect midi sound. That is generated by the Roland module itself, the X68000 just tells it which sounds to play.

In any case, only replacing the sound caps is a bad idea in the long run. All the Compact caps leaks and corrode the motherboard. You'll have nastier problems in the future unless you exchange them all.

popolon_hinotori

Thanks Kamiboy!

That`s was my idea! change all caps! but i just could change 11 at the moment, so I have 3 broken tracks now.

Any solution for take over the old caps without broke the tracks?

thanks

kamiboy

There are many schools of thought on how to remove surface mount caps. Best way would be to use a heat gun to loosen them so that you can just pick them up using tweezers without applying force, though I never used that technique myself.

I really have no trick, some pads are bound to be lifted, specially if the cap has leaked. I just pray to the gaming gods and live with the odd lifted pad and repair the damage by hooking the cap to the nearest point of direct contact with the lifted pad.

popolon_hinotori

thanks Kamiboy

I post two pics of the broken tracks. it have any solution?

in the pic number 2, track is not "jumped" but almost broken...

kamiboy

In the case if one, the picture is blurry, but I think there was a connection coming to the lifted pad from the side going to a via (the hole). You can just solder the new cap to that hole on the positive side since that was where the connection was coming from.

You could do the same for number two, or apply some glue to the underside of the lifted pad to keep it in place and solder the new cap to it. Make sure the trace is not broken though.

kinmami

Hello popolon_hinotori,

I have replaced the (audio) electrolytic capacitors on my XVI Compact using the following guide and purchasing NON-POLARIZED electrolytic capacitors made by Nichicon (or Rubycon) specifically designed for AUDIO application such as the P/N UUQ Series

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:x68000_xvi_compact_audio_troubleshooting_and_repair

http://nichicon-us.com/english/products/pdfs/e-uuq.pdf