Looking to buy a X68000

Started by Jollyroger, January 31, 2017, 01:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jollyroger

Hello everyone,

I am a newcomer here, but I am a very long time retrogaming and retro development enthusiast, and I regularly post on ASSEMBLERgames forum.

Recently I have been very intrigued by the X68000 and I am now in the process of looking to buy one in excellent condition.

Preference would go to the later models, even more so if already recapped and setup for CompactFlash or other avenues of playing games without necessarily resorting to floppies, but I will consider any models as long as it is in excellent shape.

Given that I would rather not go through the process of buying one of these on Yahoo Japan, etc. I am prepared to pay a certain premium.

Please let me know if any of you is interested/willing to sell me one of these nice machines.

Thank you in advance,

Jollyroger

P.S. is it actually worth buying a X68030? Does it play all games flawlessly?

kamiboy

Don't bother with X68030, many games won't work, or require patches to work. Flawless is a lofty goal, most of these machines come with their share of scuffs and scrapes.

You can get recapped XVI models on Yahoo auctions, and that is your best bet.

SuperDeadite

The 030 is not a good machine for beginners.  If money is no issue, get a fully loaded XVI.  Also remember you will need some sort of monitor for one of these.  The machine expects to be connected to an auto tri-sync RGBHV setup, though most people won't really miss the 24khz mode.

Jollyroger

Understood, thanks for the tips. I am fine with the monitor, as I have several ones that support a large amount of sync rates.
Anybody interested in selling me an XVI or XVI compact here?

Thanks!

Jollyroger

Elrinth

Jollyroger

Elrinth

you and I are probably going to end up bidding against eachother :)

kamiboy

I got some ACE and OG X68000 models coming from Japan. If they survive the trip to Europe then I am going to recap them and put them up for sale.

Jollyroger

Quote from: Elrinth on February 07, 2017, 04:17:26 PM
you and I are probably going to end up bidding against eachother :)

Great, just what I needed :)
I just missed a perfect one the other day and I am still bitter...

Elrinth

I feel you bro.

I am quite bitter cause I missed 2 XVI HDs cause one guy here on the forum said he would sell me his... Then wouldn't... :)
There's a Compact up on yahoo auctions which I'm eyeing... The casing looks like it's seen better days, but from what it appears, it seems to be in working condition. Are you also interested in it?

kamiboy

The only guaranteed way of winning Yahoo auctions is to bid a ridiculous amount, like 100.000¥ and pray that the next highest bidder was more sensible.

I have ended up being second highest bidder on a staggering number of auctions by being the sensible one. I just keep bidding on the next viable alternative until I finally end up being the winner.

In my experience you either have to be equipped with the patience of a saint or be mister money bags.

Jollyroger

Quote from: Elrinth on February 09, 2017, 01:08:27 AM
I feel you bro.

I am quite bitter cause I missed 2 XVI HDs cause one guy here on the forum said he would sell me his... Then wouldn't... :)
There's a Compact up on yahoo auctions which I'm eyeing... The casing looks like it's seen better days, but from what it appears, it seems to be in working condition. Are you also interested in it?

I am less interested in the compacts, I will wait for a regular XVI or a XVI HD.
I guess I have both patience and enough money, so hopefully at some point I will find the right one...

Jollyroger

Quote from: kamiboy on February 09, 2017, 01:15:07 AM
The only guaranteed way of winning Yahoo auctions is to bid a ridiculous amount, like 100.000¥ and pray that the next highest bidder was more sensible.

I have ended up being second highest bidder on a staggering number of auctions by being the sensible one. I just keep bidding on the next viable alternative until I finally end up being the winner.

In my experience you either have to be equipped with the patience of a saint or be mister money bags.

I had transferred ~170.000¥ to the person in Japan who was supposed to push "buy it now" for me, but by the time he saw my message and got to the Yahoo page, someone had already purchased the system, 15 minutes earlier... talk about bad luck...

kamiboy

Yeah, nothing worse than missing out in an item due to proxy issues. Happened to me quite a few times as well.

Elrinth

ok got my hands on a compact now... so I'm happy <3

kamiboy

I hope it has been fully recapped because on the Compacts all the caps leak, not just the PSU ones.

Jollyroger

Quote from: Elrinth on February 12, 2017, 12:51:57 AM

Nicely done! Glad to hear it's not THAT impossible to find these things...
Do you mind me asking where you sourced it?

Elrinth

Quote from: Jollyroger on February 12, 2017, 03:45:36 AM

japanese yahoo auctions... where I buy all my x68k stuff.
next up I'm trying to find external 5.2" drives.

Jollyroger

Quote from: Elrinth on February 13, 2017, 08:25:50 AM
Quote from: Jollyroger on February 12, 2017, 03:45:36 AM

japanese yahoo auctions... where I buy all my x68k stuff.
next up I'm trying to find external 5.2" drives.

Very good, do you use one of the international agents, like Buyee?

Elrinth

I do, there's others which are recommended by others which seem good aswell.
One thing to note is that you will 100% of the time pay customs taxes when you go with buyee, which is unfortunate and can add up the total amount quite alot when you've done a bunch of purchases.

Jollyroger

Elrinth

I bought a spare x68k compact now aswell.

kamiboy

I too once considered getting a 5" drive for my Compact, but then I realized one could get a X68000 with the drive built in for less.

Jollyroger

Got a XVI  :)

Now I need to decide what to do about a Joystick.

Any suggestions about where to buy pre-made adapters for Genesis 6-button pads or arcade sticks?

fatbob_gb

Jollyroger

Thanks for the info, although the site says that the Genesis->X68000 adapter only supports two buttons...

SuperDeadite

2 buttons is the MSX standard.  Some later games do support Start/Select via the FM-Towns pinout (which is a slightly updated version of the MSX standard.  Games that use 6 buttons, such as SF2 do so using their own software drivers, for them a standard Genesis adapter should work.

If you are worried, every copy of Chelnov came with a Genesis adapter in the box.  It works fine with 6 button games.  Street Fighter 2'' also came with such an adapter, but these tend to be more expensive as more people are bidding on them.

Jollyroger

X-Col

Quote from: Elrinth on February 09, 2017, 01:08:27 AM
I feel you bro.

because it stopped working properly