Noob trying to setup SCSI2SD on a SASI machine

Started by saturndual32, November 11, 2016, 03:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saturndual32

Hi guys. I am trying to setup a SCSI2SD V5.0 on a original model X68000.

I have already set the SCSI2SD to ID3, no problem there.

The first roadblock i have found is when trying to set up the X68000. I type:
cd sxsi
scsiformat.x
but when i get asked for my SCSI ID, and i choose ID3, nothing happens. I keep getting asked to choose from ID 0-7.

Then i tried changing the SCSI ID from switch.x, but for some reason i am not allowed to choose my ID. I can change all the other switch.x options except for the SCSI ID.

Any suggestions?. Thanks in advance, and pardon my english.

amigo-mexicano

I have this same adapter.

Are you sure your HDD cable is working fine? It was bought or self-made? If you made it, have you checked for continuity, wire by wire with a multimeter? I ask this because I've been there...  ::)
From Mexico City... Amigo-Mexicano!
Also known as: "compil3r" || video-juegos.com

saturndual32

Hi.
I got this cables as recomendation from another forum member to use with the SCSI2SD. He actually bought them, tried them on his setup, and then once he confirmed they worked, he sent them to me. Great guy.

I wonder why it doesnt let me change the ID on switch.x, here is a pic. Can anyone tell me what it says on the SCSI ID line?

neko68k

SCSI ID should be left at 7. That is the internal SCSI controller's ID, not your SCSI2SD. You will want to change BOOT if you want to boot from the SCSI2SD. Otherwise there's nothing else to do to have it basically working other than either formatting and partitioning it yourself or writing a disk image to it from your PC.

saturndual32

Quote from: neko68k on November 12, 2016, 06:07:15 AM
You will want to change BOOT if you want to boot from the SCSI2SD.

Hi neko68k. I have boot on STD, that is correct, right?.

I read that "You must also modify CONFIG.SYS to select SCSI ID 3 or else you can't boot", how do i do that?

neko68k

Probably. STD is floppy|scsi0|scsi1|etc... I'm not sure what you'd change in CONFIG.SYS for that. Does your machine support SCSI or do you have a SASI machine? I do see in your screenshot that you have SxSI installed. If you have a SCSI machine it isn't necessary and could cause issues.

saturndual32

Its an original model X68000, so SASI from what i have read.

neko68k

Yeah, correct. Ok mmm. I'm not well versed on SxSI and I'm not sure who's around still that is. I haven't seen Eidis post in a pretty long time now(years?). Basically, as long as your SD is imaged, SD2SCSI is set to ID3, SCSI_ID is 7 it should just work. Though I'm not really sure. The SD2SCSI page says it supports SASI for us but I don't know the details of setting it up. SxSI does require the BOOT parameter to be set to whatever the wiki says though. That whatever address setting. That tells it to boot the SxSI boot menu. That's about all the help I can provide. Sorry. :(

saturndual32

I really appreciate your help neko68k. Struggling with these stuff is half the fun, hehe.

Something i just realized. On the SCSI2SD i have,  there are a couple pins right next to the SD card slot. Do i have to install a jumper between them, or leave them as they are for this setup?

SuperDeadite

SCSI2SD uses jumpers to set scsi id.  If you are installing one in an external scsi case which also has an id select switch, the jumper and the switch must match.  iirc if you have no jumpers installed on the SCSI2SD that is actually setting it to id0.  Which will be the problem if your case is set to id3.

saturndual32

Thanks for answering SuperDeadite.

Mine is a SCSI2SD V5.0a. I set it to ID3 with my PC by USB. The only 2 pins are the ones i mention next to the SD card reader, but i cant find what they are for.

My setup is external. I entered the X68000 config.sys, and its already set to ID3.

BlueBMW

I think that jumper is for connecting an external status LED.  All the ID work etc it set by USB with those.

saturndual32

Quote from: BlueBMW on November 21, 2016, 04:06:52 PM
I think that jumper is for connecting an external status LED.  All the ID work etc it set by USB with those.

Hehe, yeah, it says it next to the pins. Thanks.

saturndual32

Still cant get the setup to work. I was thinking, did i even need the SxSI driver, for the SCSI2SD on a SASI machine setup?. Any chance it could be the reason i cant get it to work?

neko68k

SD2SCSI page says it supports SASI machines but I don't know how. Maybe it just works.

saturndual32

Maybe having the driver installed is interfering somehow?. I will try to uninstal the SxSI driver, and see what happens, what would be the way to do so?

neko68k

Change SWITCH.X BOOT to STD or one of the SCSI entries instead of RAM.