Author Topic: X68000 Repair / Restoration in the Uk?  (Read 586 times)

Offline Vintagegamer

• SmallMember
X68000 Repair / Restoration in the Uk?
« on: October 26, 2016, 08:00:55 am »
I was wondering if there was anyone in the Uk that could do this.

My XVI tower would I think need fully recapping with a replacement PSU as well. I also have a spare set of drives that could perhaps be recapped to get them possibly operational again.

I can describe the fault if needed.

Previously I came across a guy in the Uk that fixed a couple of PC Engine GTs that I had by fully recapping them I think.

He can also do Sega Game Gear recapping I think and also a Sega Nomad LCD TFT replacement.

I asked him if he could recap a couple of PC Engine CD ROM2 grey units that I have which he said he could. I then asked if he could recap an X68000 and again said he could even though he said he'd never actually done one before. When I queried this point the guy stated that 'once you can recap one machine, you can basically do them all as the process is very similar'. He could indeed be correct but with the X68000 I wasn't convinced. I've heard some of what's required to recap an X68000 and it sounds a difficult job to say the least. Even getting the case off wasn't exactly easy especially if you've never previously worked on one let alone recapping it all etc.

What do you guys think about this? Personally I have my doubts. Surely you'd need someone that's recapped etc an X68000 on multiple occasions.

Any help would be genuinely greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:07:28 am by Vintagegamer »

Offline kamiboy

• ThrobbingMember
Re: X68000 Repair / Restoration in the Uk?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 08:19:48 am »
Recapping vintage Japanese game hardware is super easy. I do all my own, like a X68000 Compact, and I was self taught. I'd say just about anyone can do it.

Offline X-Col

• MassiveMember
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 02:41:09 am »
I took my ACE HD to repair shop, he had brought my Multivitec Monitor back to life earlier that year.

He didn't seem keen on the job at all,  but I left it with him.

I kept popping back in and he kept giving excuses as to why he hadn't even started.

After a month I went back and said to just give me it back and I'll do it myself. I was pretty miffed with him, he told me he hadn't really wanted to do that job as it would be a 'Lot' of work for him and not worth it.

I bought a desoldering 'Hakko' and had a crack at it. It was time consuming, but easier than I had expected.

The moral is, have a go. You'll probably surprise yourself!  ;)

Offline Dal

• SmallMember
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 05:59:29 am »
Also did mine myself.  There are a lot of caps in there though so give yourself plenty of time and space to do the work (best done in sections over a few sessions).  Always nice to see a dead machine come back to life :)