News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

X68000 services?

Started by z00pster, July 08, 2016, 06:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z00pster

Hi,

I used to run the JCEC web site - anybody remember this site? - and built up a pretty fantastic X68000 collection over a few years back in the late 90s. About ten years ago I sold my treasured X68000 Pro and games (it was a very sad day but raised much needed cash at the time).

I'm now looking to acquire a system to use with a BVM monitor.  Are there any folk around who offer services like replacing the power supply and recapping a system?

Thanks,
John

famiac

What kind of x68k are you looking to get?

z00pster

It's an ACE system. Also looking at another ACE HD - just waiting on the price.

In the past I had a black X68000 Pro which I really liked.

Thanks,
John

elmer

You'd probably be best off saying where you are in the world.

Your collection of old games including old Ocean stuff like Wizzball suggests that you might be based in the UK.

As for myself ... I'm Los Angeles based and couldn't seem to find anyone willing to help around here, so I guess that I'd better ask the same question as the OP, but expand my request out to anyone in the continental USA ... preferably West Coast.

In my case it's an XVI. Perhaps I should just replace the power supply and hope that the caps are still good.

BlueBMW

The power supply is the place to start.

This is just me but on most of these units I start by replacing the power supply with a PICO psu setup.  If everything is working fine I usually leave it alone.  The only other thing I do is replace the SRAM battery.  I haven't noticed leaking caps on the standard full size units (except the 030) and only bother to replace them when there are problems (low sound, video issues, floppy drives not working)

Compacts and 030 full size have leaky SMD caps and should be recapped pronto.

elmer

Quote from: BlueBMW on July 11, 2016, 10:41:57 AM
The power supply is the place to start.

This is just me but on most of these units I start by replacing the power supply with a PICO psu setup.  If everything is working fine I usually leave it alone.  The only other thing I do is replace the SRAM battery.  I haven't noticed leaking caps on the standard full size units (except the 030) and only bother to replace them when there are problems (low sound, video issues, floppy drives not working)

Compacts and 030 full size have leaky SMD caps and should be recapped pronto.

Thanks! I was worried about replacing the caps with my tired old eyes, but if there's a good chance that I can get away without it, then the PSU replacement should be within my comfort-zone.

It's also a case of time and priorities. I think that you know from PCEFX which project(s) are using up all my time at the moment.