Replacement PSU for X68000 XIV

Started by Jamie, June 03, 2016, 11:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie

The PSU on my X68000 XIV has playing up for a while but finally died recently, i get the red light on the front but nothing happens when i turn it on.

Rather than trying to get the PSU itself fixed, i'd like to replace it with something like the PicoPSU solution that has been posted elsewhere on this site. I've no experience at all with electronics so wouldn't be able to put this together myself. Is there anyone that sells ready made solution for this? So that the original PSU can be removed and a new one installed without any electronics work needing doing by myself?

frankmonk

Hi,

I installed this Flex Power Supply instead of the original x68000 in my ACE.
FSP FLEX FSP220-60LE

it perfectly fits inside the x68000 and I was also able to use the original internal cabling for it. I also re-wired the external power cord. it looks
even the fan is placed exactly the same way like the original one. I did not had to cut anything on the case to make it fit

Jamie

Thanks for the reply, is this the psu you're talking about http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104080

What modifications would i have to do to it to make it work with the X68000?

Ale555

Hello, thanks for the suggestion, thinking about it!
What does it mean, you were able to use the original internal cabling? Was it, like, plug and play?
It would be an enormous finding, so could you please explain more?

sharp

I know the legend himself BlueBMW suggests picopsu's. They are a nice size, and cobbling an ATX harness with the original x68k PSU wires is not too difficult.

A shame the tetris block PSU's are so flaky. I want to believe in the tetris block!  (;

FrankMonk has a good point though.. using picopsu requires a case modification for the DC jack, ideally that would not be required. By using an AC powered PSU you can use the original PSU wire/switch.

frankmonk

Hi,

let me check if I can find any Pictures I took during the modification. unfortunately i sold it to someone in spain. not sure if this guy is active in this Forum.

@sharp
right. i used the internal psu wire/Switch for the mod.

BlueBMW

Heh legend now?  Geeze hehe.

But yeah using the PICO means a bit of case modification.  I have wired them up to where I cut the 12V wires inside and run them through the switch on the back but its a little redundant.  I usually install the jack where the ground post is.  There's already a hole in the plastic casing and most of a hole in the PSU housing for it.  I usually have to cut both holes slightly bigger though to accomodate it properly.

And to answer the OPs question, its not a plug and play solution.  You basically chop the wires off the original PSU and solder them to the PICO PSU or get an ATX plug and solder to that.  Either way it requires some soldering.  Additionally you need to add an inverter chip setup to get the soft on/off stuff working correctly.

There was some talk by someone of making a premade replacement drop in PSU board that you just had to solder the original wires to.  I dont think it ever got off the ground though.

Monstermug

BlueBMW

How much are the little 12V PSU boards you used in that setup?

Ale555

I'm looking for a psu exchanger like that in your post (made by guys called kawalab it seems) but unfortunately I can't find one in the whole planet... If somebody sees one please tell me, I don't want to mess with solder...

Monstermug

Quote from: BlueBMW on July 27, 2016, 02:47:42 PM
How much are the little 12V PSU boards you used in that setup?

Cheapest I can find is from Digikey. 

https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-search/en?keywords=1470-1248-ND

Not sure where to buy those Exchangers from to be honest.  I was told you can get them from Japan somewhere which I am sure is not very helpful advice :(  I found mine in a x68000 I was cleaning up.

gojirien

Seems PSU exchanger will be available on ebay this november.

Ale555

I found their page by simply googling "kawa lab x68000" and it seems they're building another batch of exchangers, so it will take sole time. It seems they only sell through Yahoo Japan.

Monstermug

I hope he makes the next batch smaller because the original one I found didn't fit inside the case.  Trying to get it to fit was like playing grandmaster tetris.  So atm it's solder only unless you can find the female atx connector and use crimps instead.  I've now changed my original tutorial.