General CF/Sd to scsi adapter install questions

Started by gojirien, May 29, 2016, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gojirien

Hi all,

Reading to the fantastic tutorial of eidis : http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:hard_drive_on_sasi_machine

I still have a few questions^^. My purpose is to install Aztecmonter CF adapter in my Expert II with the HDD v4 image.

- I read on different threads that the CF model could be important ; does someone have a particular CF card to advice ?

- I don't really understand which archive to download for masterdisk and SxSi DMA drivers patch. That's ok I opened the archive downloaded from Eidis tutorial and I understand all now^^.

- Is it ok that i'll have to use winimage to transfer HDDv4 image to the CF card ?

- Does the HDDv4 image has to be put on CF card before or after having prepared the CF adapter on the X68000 (chapters 3 and 4 of the tutorial) ?

- After all is installed and x68000 boots from Aztecmonter, is it right that I can still boot from floppies pushing OPT1 key while booting x68000 (in order to use my original games) ?

- Does masterdisk still needed after installation to have the aztecmonster working at every boot ?

- I don't really know how to configure jumpers on the Aztecmonster.

Sorry if my questions are stupid^^. And thanks for your help.

eidis

Hi Gojirien!

Up to this point Dane-Elec CF cards have proven to be compatible with X68000. I personally use IDSC21-E SCSI to IDE adapter with a 2GB CF card, exactly the same as in the following link.

2GB CompactFlash® Memory Card
http://www.amazon.com/Dane-Elec-820457-CompactFlash%C2%AE-Memory-Card/dp/B000F3SZGS

Yes, you will have to transfer HDDv4 image with WinImage to CF card. Chapters 3 and 4 in the tutorial are only necessary if you want to know how to set up everything from scratch. Please note that you have a SASI machine which means that installation of bootloader to SRAM is mandatory.

Yes, pressing OPT1 key on bootup ignores defined boot sequence and will force the X68000 to boot from floppy drive.

The whole purpose of MasterDisk is to format hard drive and install bootloader to SRAM. The SRAM has a dedicated battery which keeps its contents alive and once the bootloader is installed it will reside there untill the SRAM battery fails or the SRAM gets corrupt. The only time you will have to use the MasterDisk will be if you want to install or repair the bootloader.

STRATOS CF AztecMonster Use`s Manual
http://www.artmix.com/pdffiles/CF_AZTECMONSTER_MN_E_13.pdf

Picture 2 of the manual shows how to configure jumper settings. Set it to ID3 and enable termination (jumpers 4 and T closed). After that install the bootloader to SRAM, insert the prepared CF card and try to boot from it. You should see something similar to the following picture and hopefully boot to LHES.

X68000 boot screen
http://gamesx.com/wiki/lib/exe/detail.php?id=x68000%3Ahard_drive_on_sasi_machine&media=x68000:bootscreen.jpg

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

gojirien

Hi Eidis !

Many thanks for your explanations :-*

Just ordered the CF, and so if I understand correctly :

1- I transfer HDDv4 to CF with winimage

2- Set jumpers on Aztecmonster

3- Plug Aztec in x68000 with SCSI to SASI Cable and molex cable adapter

3- Install SRAM bootloader on the X68000 with masterdisk

4- Insert CF in Aztec and boot from it (i guess i'll have to go in switch.x to enable the boot from CF ?).

Again thank you very much.

I tested HDD 4 in X6M emulator, and if I remove the masterdisk from the folder boot fails ; that's why I asked if masterdisk was always needed.

And also, apologies by advance, but I don't understand how to load games from games2 and 3 folders in LHES  :P

Pinwizkid

Quote from: gojirien on May 30, 2016, 03:38:24 PM
Hi Eidis !

Many thanks for your explanations :-*

Just ordered the CF, and so if I understand correctly :

1- I transfer HDDv4 to CF with winimage

2- Set jumpers on Aztecmonster

3- Plug Aztec in x68000 with SCSI to SASI Cable and molex cable adapter

3- Install SRAM bootloader on the X68000 with masterdisk

4- Insert CF in Aztec and boot from it (i guess i'll have to go in switch.x to enable the boot from CF ?).

Again thank you very much.

I tested HDD 4 in X6M emulator, and if I remove the masterdisk from the folder boot fails ; that's why I asked if masterdisk was always needed.

And also, apologies by advance, but I don't understand how to load games from games2 and 3 folders in LHES  :P

I only needed the Masterdisk on first boot up to change my SCSI ID to find the AztecMonster, but then again my X68K is a SCSI model, so it might be different on SASI.

For Games 2 and 3, navigate to the directory of the game you want to play and push Q twice (make sure you have at least 4MB of ram enabled in switch.x for the games to load since these require additional ram).

gojirien

Thanks Pinwizkid :).

In fact I have only 2MB ; but some games in games2 folder need only 2MB if I'm right (daimakaimura, marchen maze...).

I'm in search of a ram extension of 4MB at the same time.

Pinwizkid

Quote from: gojirien on May 31, 2016, 02:35:42 AM
Thanks Pinwizkid :).

In fact I have only 2MB ; but some games in games2 folder need only 2MB if I'm right (daimakaimura, marchen maze...).

I'm in search of a ram extension of 4MB at the same time.

Yep, 2MB for Games2, 4MB for games3.

gojirien

So, i bought aztecmonster three weeks ago. No shipment yet, no communication from artemix. Gonna ask refund  :'(

Pinwizkid

Quote from: gojirien on June 14, 2016, 12:48:50 PM
So, i bought aztecmonster three weeks ago. No shipment yet, no communication from artemix. Gonna ask refund  :'(

That stinks :( I got mine on ebay and it was at my door in 5 days.

corpsicle

Daimakaimura is in games3 isnt it? I didnt get it to work from hdd with 2mb ram anyway.

SuperDeadite

According to the webpage:
http://www.artmix.com/j_home.html

Aztecmonster is currently on backorder.  Restock comes November.

gojirien

Yes, I saw that. But strangely, seller continues to assure me that the aztecmonster will be shipped in couple days.

Gonna write negative evaluation on ebay and ask refund on PayPal :(.