Nyko PS2 Wireless Pad Hacking

Started by HPLovethrash, May 13, 2016, 08:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HPLovethrash

Hey everyone- I'm having trouble with my wireless controller mod...long story short, I'm hacking up a pair of Nyko PS2 controllers (not sure of the model #, I'll check when I get home) so I can put the PCBs into Saturn controllers to simulate an OEM wireless pad.  A PS2-Saturn adapter is involved of course.

I've got one Nyko PCB trimmed way down and wired up to the Saturn PCB, it works almost perfectly except for one thing- the start button behaves as if it's constantly being pressed, but only while the Saturn's Action Replay is onscreen.  Once it forces me into the game, everything seems to work just fine (including the start button).  Any idea what this is about?  I've already taken down all my wiring and re-done it, but the same issue comes back.  I don't know if I trimmed something off the Nyko controller that caused some short or changed a voltage so that it thinks a start button is always pressed down. 

The second Nyko PCB is trimmed and ready to be wired up to another Saturn pad, but as of now that fragment of a controller does not exhibit the same issue with an Action Replay.  At this point I just can't isolate the issue and was hoping somebody here might have a specific idea of what this behavior indicates. 

If I can't figure it out, I may just say 'screw it' and use a wired controller with the Action Replay  >:(

NFG

Wow, that's a good one.  My first guess is that the PAR polls the controllers the wrong way and your adaptor is freaking out, but that doesn't explain why it's not happening on the other one.

Use the P2 pad as your main P1 device, and only plug in P2 when you're booted up?  Seems easy if you don't do a lot of 2P gaming.  Sorry I have no other ideas.

RDC

The AR polls the Saturn controllers far faster than when the Saturn is working normally, and it aborts in mid poll as well, but if you have 2 of the same controller and one is working while the other not, it seems the issue would be with the trimming somehow, but you mentioned both are trimmed already, and the screwy one is installed in the Saturn controller, so that's where I'd start.

How did you go about that part? any pics?

Did you remove the components from the Saturn controller board? as any left on there could screw things up.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.