X68000 Drum Sample Pack

Started by Pinwizkid, April 29, 2016, 11:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinwizkid

Hi All,

I put together an X68000 drum sample pack to use in the production of YM2151 style chiptunes. Figured I'd share it with everyone in case there are others who are into composing retro music. Please feel free to add this to file archive. All samples were recorded off a real X68000. The set could easily be expanded, but it's a start.

Download here: http://www.brendanbailey.net/x68000-drums.zip

Enjoy!
-BB

famiac

That's really cool. How did you make this?

Pinwizkid

In MMDSP, you can actually mute the individual tracks if you click on the "knob" underneath each track. I shut off all of the FM synth tracks and then recorded the drum tracks from my mixer into my laptop using Audacity. Then I edited out each individual drum and exported as a wav (a tad time consuming).

I tried to get samples from different game manufacturers, but there are so many MDX files to go through that there are hundreds, probably thousands of more drums that could be sampled. If I find some more particularly cool sounding ones, I'll try to grab them and add to the set.

corpsicle

There are some cool trancey tunes with pretty nice drumsounds in the Kamishimo_Records dir.

for example:

The 3rd 4ce [ Rhythma ]
vacua. [ DECOY ]

But others aswell.

neko68k

I'm pretty sure theres a tool that will extract all the samples out of a PDX file. I'd have to dig a little to be sure.

Pinwizkid

Quote from: neko68k on May 03, 2016, 05:57:40 PM
I'm pretty sure theres a tool that will extract all the samples out of a PDX file. I'd have to dig a little to be sure.

That would make things WAY quicker. Let me know if you can find it. Thanks!

neko68k

Use PDEX.X from this archive.

Usage: PDEX <pdxfile.pdx>

I was able to load the exported samples in Audacity by using Import Raw Data with settings VOX ADPCM, Big-endian, 1 channel, 0 offset, import 100% and 15600hz sample rate.

Here's a couple pics.

corpsicle

But the drums in those tracks i mentioned arent samples. =P

neko68k

Yeah, right, I know they're not. So you're on your own. Sampling FM drums seems wrong anyway ;P Seriously though, you could decompile to MML and use the patches in vOPM if you want. There are complex pitch envelopes on most FM drums though that are part of the MML and not the patch ;)

Pinwizkid

There are a lot of VOPM patches for FM synth drums, but sometimes composers used difficult to replicate articulation techniques (IE, the patch will sound nothing like what is heard in a particular track because of some sequencing technique that manages to alter the way the instrument sounds). This is where sampling might come in handy.

One simple example is on a lot of FM tom drums, there is usually a harsh pitch slide downwards that creates a more "convincing" sound, though FM drums in general sound very electronic and are sort of in a realm of their own.

I'll have to try the PDX export and Audacity raw import later! Thanks for the tip!

Alianger

Hi, thanks a lot for these but could you add the game names to the files or tell me where the samples are from? I've recently started to rip instruments and pcm from X68K games and would like to keep track of what's done.

Pinwizkid

Quote from: Alianger on May 24, 2016, 11:59:17 PM
Hi, thanks a lot for these but could you add the game names to the files or tell me where the samples are from? I've recently started to rip instruments and pcm from X68K games and would like to keep track of what's done.

Oh damn, sorry I didn't keep track of what games they came from. I sort of just trolled around the the MDX files in MMDSP listening for drums I thought sounded good and recorded them.

Importing the raw pdx data into Audacity is on my to-do list, so if I create more drum sets I will organize them by game, and perhaps make a separate folder for drums I find particularly good.

Alianger

Cool, looking forward to it. I'll probably be able to recognize at least some of these as I go through my list of impressive ost's.