Etoile Princess is fantastic

Started by kamiboy, March 14, 2016, 04:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamiboy

Let us face it, the X68000 fandom is a bit too focused on the arcade ports, and skews a bit too heavily towards the shooters, the doujin ones in particular.

Well, for us who would much rather take an action platformer/RPG over a shooter any day of the week it bears mentioning how fantastic this gem of a game is. To me it is easily the most standout title on the platform, because unlike Akumajo Dracula, which has a port for another platform, Etoile Princess, to my knowledge, is a true X68000 exclusive.

The gameplay might be a bit on the easy side, but it is fun, the graphics are some of the best on the platform and the music is just fantastic.

My Japanese is too shitty to be able to decipher the banter between the girls, but from the small fragments that I do understand the game seems to have a rather charming sense of humour as well. I only wish there was a translation patch for the game. It is perfectly playable without, but I think the game certainly deserves it.

So if the person who did Die Bahnwelt is looking for their next project then permit me to humbly throw this gem in the lot.

X-Col

Translation patches seem a bit scarce on the X68K which is a shame.

I bet there are loads of gems out there we're missing out on purely because we can't understand them.....

I have to play Illusion City etc on my Turbo R instead :(

kamiboy

Well, actually my tastes usually steer me clear of games that you cannot play unless you understand what is going on, since they tend to be RPG's or visual novels. If you are into those sorts of games then there is no hope for you unless you learn the language, because there are so many, many games you'll miss out on otherwise.

SuperDeadite

As far as visual novels go, Dead of the Brain is incredibly straight-forward, there is only like 1 real choice in the whole game, and the story and dialog is all just unimportant banter.  The game is really all about seeing the fantistically hand-drawn gore.  It's just a shame the X68K only got the first game.

kamiboy

Visual novles are bascially just digital manga, so in that sense their lack of choice lives up to their genre moniker. But having a go at one like that would be like flipping through a manga just for the pretty pictures. I imagine it will make for an empty experience, unimportant banter or not.