Problems with X68k Super and scsi2sd

Started by Corummo, March 12, 2016, 04:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corummo

Hi there.

I'm an happy X68k newcomer, and I purchased a scsi2sd for my Super model.
I have no disks to boot my system, except for a Gradius floppy (with HumanOS 3.02), and PowerMonger, with an older OS release.

Switch.x says that boot options are set to STD, and system has 2MB of RAM.

When I power on my machine, scsi2sd just blinks, then the system prompts for a bootdisk, I insert the Gradius floppy, just to see everything hang, with the scsi2sd disk led on, with a solid light (no blinking).
If I remove the SD card, I get the same behaviour.
If I detach the whole scsi2sd board, I obtain to restore system booting with the floppy.

I'm no HumanOS expert, so I'm asking some kind advice to get me started.

I downloaded the X68000v4 disk image by Eidis, and restored it on a Class 4 4GB sd card, and on an older 2GB card, with no class at all. Images are correctly written, because I dumped and browsed them back with editdisk.
Sadly, I have no sd cards of less than 2GB, and I hope the problem isn't related to this.

My configuration is:

Thanks in advance.

famiac

Get the masterdisk v3.
Run scsiformat
set your bootflags to bootable

then run bootset.x
when asked for an address, enter ed0100

you should be good.
More info here:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:hard_drive_on_sasi_machine

Corummo

Many thanks for your reply.

I have to setup a side-PC with a 5,25" floppy drive I already have.
It seems a must for X68k owners.

This sequence of operations will erase my sd card, right?

Once I configured the X68k to start from scsi, can I eventually restore the Eidis' X68000v4 disk image?

famiac

Changing the bootflags won't reformat your sd card.

Corummo

I finally got to boot with the MasterDisk v3 but, when I run SCSIFORMAT, every SCSI drive ID I may try, appears not being connected.
What to do next?  :(

marshalld12

hello
i have the same pb...before it was on a x68000 ace with scsi2sd in a scsi enclosure and now i have a x68000 ace hd with the scsi2sd inside ^^

i restore the x68000v4 image on a class10 micro sd with winimage
i set the scsi2sd on id3 with my computer
i set the id on 3 on the "ed config.sys" menu on the x68000
i put the masterdisk and i go to scsiformat,bootflags and bootset

i reboot and i have this

and the power led on the scsi2sd stay like this

it's so strange...

Corummo

Indeed. I had the led turned on just like yours, until my first boot with the MasterDisk.
Since then, the led didn't turn on anymore.
SCSIFORMAT doesn't recognize any disk, and the bootset loader scans the IDs from 0 to 7, with no luck.
After the second round of check, it prompts for a bootdisk as usual.
I'm really disappointed, and so frustrated by the countless (useless) attempts I did..

marshalld12

when i use scsiformat,my scsi2sd is recognized by the x68000...
i don't know where is the problem...
if somebody can tell us the procedure,step by step please...

and other thing strange,in the switch menu i can't change the scsi id,it's blank...

Corummo

Quote from: marshalld12 on April 09, 2016, 06:25:02 PM
in the switch menu i can't change the scsi id,it's blank...
Maybe is it related to the change you did into config.sys?
I'd try to revert that edit and leave it at default values.

My switch shows SCSI ID: 7, and every change I make is correctly stored in system configuration.
But scsi2sd led didn't lit anymore... :(

caius

ID7 is reserved to host machine , you can't assign it to a device.

neko68k

SCSI_ID in switch should be 7. BOOT should be STD or SCSI3. Your SD2SCSI should be set to ID 3. The J3 TERMPWR jumper must be installed. You should not be using SxSI. According to the SD2SCSI site it supports SASI mode and if you're using a Super or later its SCSI anyway so SxSI just isn't necessary.

marshalld12

on the boot sequence i press "help" button on the keyboard
and i have "(1) human68k bootable" then i press enter and i have the message  "can't read management"
any idea please?
thanks!

Corummo

Quote from: neko68k on April 10, 2016, 08:57:45 AM
SCSI_ID in switch should be 7. BOOT should be STD or SCSI3. Your SD2SCSI should be set to ID 3. The J3 TERMPWR jumper must be installed. You should not be using SxSI. According to the SD2SCSI site it supports SASI mode and if you're using a Super or later its SCSI anyway so SxSI just isn't necessary.
It is my exact configuration and situation, as you can see from the opening post.

Is there any method to clear the SRAM to get rid of the bootloader I installed with BOOTSET.X?

But the real concern is: what's the problem with my scsi2sd?
It's correctly detected and operated by its own tool/diags via USB on my Windows 7 PC.
Just before the Masterdisk v3 boot on my X68k super, the LED was always on. Now it doesn't lit, not even for a blink.
What's wrong with my setup?

caius

Quote from: Corummo on April 12, 2016, 09:34:45 AM
Is there any method to clear the SRAM to get rid of the bootloader I installed with BOOTSET.X?

Hold on the CLR button while you power up  or use this software:

http://retropc.net/x68000/software/system/sram/sram_clr_r/index.htm

QuoteBut the real concern is: what's the problem with my scsi2sd?
It's correctly detected and operated by its own tool/diags via USB on my Windows 7 PC.
Just before the Masterdisk v3 boot on my X68k super, the LED was always on. Now it doesn't lit, not even for a blink.
What's wrong with my setup?

For first I'd check if your cable is correctly crimped according to the scheme.In particular check that all the GND signals are wired together.

Corummo

Quote from: caius on April 12, 2016, 05:35:53 PM
For first I'd check if your cable is correctly crimped according to the scheme.In particular check that all the GND signals are wired together.
I was evaluating to make another (shorter) cable but, my bad, I'm sure I haven't joined the GND signals. :-[
I'll try to workaround this issue in any way, before making a brand new cable.

Many thanks for your help.