rgb power out put Saturn problem

Started by moonston3, February 26, 2016, 05:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonston3

Hi all I'm in need of some help with my Sega Saturn please. I bought a custom rgb lead but it didn't work on my model 2 Saturn. Its outputting in composite mode on my LCD 19" monitor and 40" LCD and also on my CRT .
Now I took the rgb lead to my local computer shop and they tested it on a model 1+2 Saturn and it worked perfect.
Now I emailed the guy I got the cable from for advice and he said the Saturn is not giving out the correct pulse to change over to rgb mode. So I believe its a problem with the av port on the Saturn itself this is what he put in his email

I think that the saturn is not sending out the 5 volt pulse via pin 4 of the AV socket to pin 16 of the SCART plug. We fit a 180 ohm resistor between the 5 volts wire and pin 16.

This 5 volts from the Saturn is needed to switch any TV into RGB mode and if its not sent to the TV then the TV will only display in composite video mode.

So what I would like to know is how can I fix this or is it not fixable I spoke to another guy and he said I could re wire something from the motherboard directly to the av port or something like that.

Is this an easy fix has anyone had same problem or should I just buy a new Saturn that works and outputs rgb.

My Saturn is a model 2 pal thanks in advance

NFG

The difference is in the PAL Saturn.  As mentioned in another thread:

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4224.0

Apparently he PAL Saturn has 9V on pin one, instead of composite video.  I dunno where you're getting a c-vid signal from if the PAL Saturn doesn't even offer it. 

But anyway, the pinout between NTSC and PAL Saturns is apparently different.

moonston3

Hi thanks for reply sorry I meant the picture acts exactly like the yellow red and white cable, when I plug the rgb lead in very very jagged not smooth at all. So how do I fix my problem how do I make it output to rgb thanks against n for reply

moonston3

Hi all I don't think that it is my model 2 Saturn with the rgb problem. I bought a second Saturn today this time a model 1 pal plugged it in 6 different TVs LCD and it was the same jagged picture of the model 2. Even though my TVs say on the back near scart socket EXT (rgb)

So anyone know why it still isn't outputting in rgb mode. On 6 diff TVs. Would buying a specific scart block to put in back of TV then rgb scart from Saturn into scart block or some other adapter if so which adapter. As I find it hard to believe all my TVs won't output rgb even though it says on then back of them that it is an rgb socket

Thanks

albino_vulpix

Do you have a multimeter to take some measurements with?

moonston3

Hi thanks for reply no not yet but hopefully I'll get one in morning. What do I measure and where do I measure. I don't know if its the ports on my Saturn's or ports on my TVs. As the cable is fine cos I tested it in the shop and it was a perfect picture its doing my head in now lol. I also bought one of those white upscaled boxes av2hdmi it didn't work so seller sent me another one and that didn't work. So theynr rubbish. I was going to try one of these Hama Scart Switch Box AV-100S to see if get a better picture what's do you guys think

albino_vulpix

I'm thinking the problem lies with the switching voltage, either in the cable or the Saturn. It's possible the cable worked in the shop because the monitor they used ignores the switching voltage and outputs RGB anyway.

With the meter, we can check the voltages present in the cable and the system. The cheapest meter you can find will be good enough for the job.

moonston3

Its got to be the Saturn's that's what the guy said who I got the cable from. As it was custom made by him. He said it could be the pulse voltage from pin 4 on the Saturn  this is what he said

I think that the saturn is not sending out the 5 volt pulse via pin 4 of the AV socket to pin 16 of the SCART plug. We fit a 180 ohm resistor between the 5 volts wire and pin 16.

This 5 volts from the Saturn is needed to switch any TV into RGB mode and if its not sent to the TV then the TV will only display in composite video mode.

So is this an easy fix can I fix the ports on my Saturn's if it is the port there no point in getting one of those hama scart blocks