Weird problem with XVI (not starting, whitsling)

Started by dos, February 20, 2016, 06:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dos

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi5kzWeu7Kk

I get this problem with two PSUs, both confirmed working. They don't whistle if you plug them in alone, only when hooked to the X68K. but the whistling is definitely coming from the PSU. The X68K was working before I had to remove the bottom board for an unrelated issue and now since putting it back together this happens and the machine doesn't boot :(

e: In case it comes up, nothing was done to the bottom board, just checked it because I was having some ADPCM audio problems, but everything looked OK.

kamiboy

I have recently bought a none working FM Towns that according to the seller was behaving the same way before the PSU failed. I am replacing the caps in hope that it helps, but if not I might have to dig deeper snd find out what would cause this high pitch noise.

kamiboy

I just asked someone in the know. Change the caps.

dos

Quote from: kamiboy on February 20, 2016, 06:57:56 AM
I just asked someone in the know. Change the caps.

Doesn't really seem like the caps to me as it was working fine before I took it apart and put it back together, even if it was the caps I'm screwed because I've never done anything like that in my life and don't exactly want to learn on a piece of hardware like this. If anyone knows how to repair this I'd gladly send it out and pay for a fix.

akdme

In my experience when I have ran original PSU's (not recapped) on US 120V I would get very odd behavior. If I used a stepdown transformer to 100V all worked perfectly (on the same, not recapped, PSU's).

And recall that with you just powering on the PSUs themselves, nothing is drawing power from them, so you may not be stressing whatever is having the issue (and causing the whistling or whatever behavior).

dos

Quote from: akdme on February 22, 2016, 07:50:58 AM
In my experience when I have ran original PSU's (not recapped) on US 120V I would get very odd behavior. If I used a stepdown transformer to 100V all worked perfectly (on the same, not recapped, PSU's).

And recall that with you just powering on the PSUs themselves, nothing is drawing power from them, so you may not be stressing whatever is having the issue (and causing the whistling or whatever behavior).

These PSUs are both recapped, and are being run with a stepdown. Thanks though