News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

XM6 TypeG

Started by Jazz729, December 08, 2015, 02:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jazz729

Hi. I'm new here. I'm not a newbie whwn it comes to X68k emulation tho. I've lurked here for many years.

Anyways, I've got a question.

So now that GIMONS has had a temper tantrum and removed English from XM6 TypeG, what do we do now? Related to this, I saw on his page that he dropped English support. I stupidly didn't realize he had actually removed English. So, I replaced my copy and it was now only in Japanese. I went back to an earlier release, but now I can't get it to load the SxSI images from.this site, only the SASI ones  They're set up properly but XM6 just skips over them and only loads the SASI ones.

If anyone can offer any assistance, I would greafly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

famiac

I could send you my XM6 type G set up if you'd like.

Any idea why he did what he did?

H68k

QuoteAny idea why he did what he did?

He's removed all English text strings and support for more than one language from the source code of XM6g, in what seams to be some kind of "GOTCHA" response to people uploading copies of XM6g to other sites, other than his own.

at least.. that's what I gathered from the very bold n angry text on his geocitys site and the short sharp response I got back from him on why he'd done it.

Jazz729

Quote from: famiac on December 09, 2015, 05:33:43 AM
I could send you my XM6 type G set up if you'd like.

Any idea why he did what he did?

Thanks for the offer. Yes, I'd appreciate it. :)

neko68k

He is upset at sites like EmuCR and users that contribute nothing back to him.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter if it's in English or not. It's not terribly complicated. Especially if you've already got a configured working copy. You might check and make sure you're using the correct SRAM and that your system is set up correctly with SWITCH.X. I think I remember he changed the way he names SRAM files recently. For example: SRAMCMP.DAT, SRAMXVI.DAT and SRAM030.DAT instead of just one SRAM.DAT. This is better for switching system types but could be confusing since your old SRAM.DAT is now being ignored.

Also, you shouldn't really be using SxSI in emulation. You can, but it's advisable to find a copy of SCSIINROM.DAT and/or SCSIEXROM.DAT and use the built in SCSI emulation instead.

Jazz729

So yeah, I went and got SCSIEXROM.DAT, but it still wants to boot off the SASI drive instead of the SxSI/SCSI drive.

Edit:

So I replaced my entire setup and it's working again. Of course, it only works with SxSI for some reason.

Also one other question. Is it possible to use the MercuryUnit in emulation or no? Because I have MercuryUnit set to on, but a song that needs it isn't playing the ADPCM channels.

famiac

Sorry i never got back to you. It's finals week so i'm pretty swamped

I'm not even sure how i'd use a mercury unit on real hardware, although i've been tempted to buy one and figure it out before.

neko68k

MercuryUnit requires a driver. Some games support it with patches. Various music drivers can use it by using 'pcm8pp' instead of 'pcm8' or 'rydeen' or whatever your PCM solution is.

Driver
PCM8PP

Jazz729

Quote from: neko68k on December 11, 2015, 07:00:56 PM
MercuryUnit requires a driver. Some games support it with patches. Various music drivers can use it by using 'pcm8pp' instead of 'pcm8' or 'rydeen' or whatever your PCM solution is.

Driver
PCM8PP

Thanks for the help. I've got the driver setup but I just noticed that in MMDSP nothing is listed under the ADPCM label. It seems you have a newer version of MMDSP in your screenshot, but I can't seem to find the version in your screenshot.

Edit: Nevermind. I read it wrong. Version 0.29 Release 31. So then yeah, I did find that. :P

Well okay. I found 0.29 Release 27, not sure if it matters that it isn't 31.

Nevermind, didn't realize it was on the X68000_MDX.HDS file.

------------------------------------------------

I see you're using PCM8A and MXDRV. What parameters are you using with MXDRV? Also does the version of XM6 matter? Because the songs that were giving errors before I installed the MercuryDriver have stopped, but I don't see anything registering on the MercuryUnit Synthesizer window. I tried the song in your screenshot, and it only registers on the main synthesizer not on the MercuryUnit one as well, unlike your screenshot. Also the PCM sounds like a machine gun on PCM8A, but not on RDN.

Also, http://retropc.net/saya/x68.shtml has newer versions of MNDRV, MMDSP, MCDRV, and MercuryDriver. Yes, newer than anything on NFGGames.

neko68k

I'll have to get to my computer later but I'm fairly certain the version of MXDRV I am using is the last. Also, it's not really PCM8A, it's PCM8PP which is a modified version of PCM8A. The version of MMDSP doesn't really matter. I think there is a version .30 or something but I think it only adds MNDRV support.  I've seen that site, I chose not to use MNDRV because it didn't suit my needs and I'm pretty certain the version of MCDRV on the musicdisk is the latest.

I think I'm using defaults for MXDRV but I do know there are some songs that need more RAM for PCM specified at the command line.

The basic method is:
Load the mercury driver
Load PCM8PP
Load MXDRV/MCDRV/whatever
Load MMDSP/play song with MMCP, MXP, Mint, etc...

You should be using the most recent version of XM6G. I can get you more detail later.

Jazz729

I tried using PCM8PP, but it actually locked up when I tried to use it. MercuryDriver works fine tho..

neko68k

Set the emulator to use V3.5 instead of MK-MU10. PCM8PP hangs if set to MK-MU10. I don't know of anything really worth mentioning that supports any of the fancy extra stuff on the MK-MU10 anyway.

Here's some pictures.

Pictures

neko68k

Oh I see. Are you trying to play MNDRV songs?

Jazz729

Quote from: neko68k on December 13, 2015, 11:57:47 AM
Oh I see. Are you trying to play MNDRV songs?

I have been using MNDRV, but it's easy enough to change the settings in the emulator and reboot it, depending on what music I want to play.

I just wanted to say thank you again for all your help.

neko68k

No problem.

Let me do some research and see if I can get MK-MU10 to work.

Also, just FYI, you can unload music drivers usually with '-r' or '/r'. For example: mxdrv -r or pcm8 -r

Jazz729

Quote from: neko68k on December 13, 2015, 02:06:15 PM
No problem.

Let me do some research and see if I can get MK-MU10 to work.

Also, just FYI, you can unload music drivers usually with '-r' or '/r'. For example: mxdrv -r or pcm8 -r

Yeah, I'm used to that -r or /r switch. I've used it a lot in NP2 because it's the same for PC98 drivers too.

One more question. Is there a way to show command history, like if you press the up arrow you can scroll through past commands?

neko68k

So it seems like PCM is only well supported for the 3.5 card. The 4.0 card with MNDRV requires MPCM which doesn't have a hardware equivalent but supports 16 channels(it does but it requires PCM8PP which doesn't work for the 4.0 card). So long story short, I guess if you want to have nice clean samples/mixing, use the 3.5 setting. If you want to use the other stuff like OPNA, use the MK-MU10 with MNDRV and MPCM as your PCM driver. This is important, MNDRV does _not_ support using PCM8, RDN, or any other PCM driver. Only MPCM is supported.

I think HIS.X does command line history. I don't know how to use it off hand. There is also CONDRV and friends which seems to provide something similar and some other stuff as well. I'm not really familiar with either. You can press F3 for the last line entered to the command line like in regular DOS.

Jazz729

Some new difficulties. Well not new, but I can't get XM6 to load any SCSI drives, they only work in SxSI. I do have the dat files

neko68k

You don't need SxSI in emulation. You probably shouldn't install it at all. I'm not sure if it causes issues to have it in your SRAM and not actually using it. I am configured like this.

https://imgur.com/a/cJYTf

SLON

Probably, it should have been noted a long time ago, but the use of M.U. v3 + PCM8PP with multi-channel tracks in MMDSP leads to a noticeable load on the processor and sound jamming (even at 16 MHz). Through the standard ADPCM, this is played normally. I will probably continue to use MDXWin, as it is more convenient in all respects.

Also, probably, it should be noted here, so as not to multiply the topics, that today I discovered that you need 4 MB of RAM and a floating point expansion module to run Cotton (without the latter, the sound will not play).