PC-FXGA Installation Disk Image

Started by TurfMasta, June 21, 2015, 09:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurfMasta

Been working a bit on my 9801ns/a with an external 86 board and the YEHDI image.  Games play great, but now I want to torture myself and try my FXGA board.  My set didn't come with the boot floppy, so I was hoping someone here has an image or could make me one.  I realize there may be some CD driver issues since I'll be using a pcmcia scsi CD drive, but I'd like to try.

The NS/A is rocking a 100MHz 486 upgrade and 9mb ram.  So far it's played everything I have tried.  I am waiting for a RGB cable so I can get a color monitor hooked up to it.

98digger

Quote from: TurfMasta on June 21, 2015, 09:21:56 AM
Been working a bit on my 9801ns/a with an external 86 board and the YEHDI image.  Games play great, but now I want to torture myself and try my FXGA board.  My set didn't come with the boot floppy, so I was hoping someone here has an image or could make me one.  I realize there may be some CD driver issues since I'll be using a pcmcia scsi CD drive, but I'd like to try.

The NS/A is rocking a 100MHz 486 upgrade and 9mb ram.  So far it's played everything I have tried.  I am waiting for a RGB cable so I can get a color monitor hooked up to it.

Wow, looks like an awesome setup you have there! Makes me want to get a PC-9801 NS/A, considering how cheap they are on Yahoo! Auctions at the moment.

Wait, an external 86 board? Is it a C-BUS card or something else? If it is a C-BUS PC-9801-86, how are you using it with the 98note? I'm greatly interested  :D

In regards to the PC-FXGA, the only person I know who owns a complete one (with the floppy) is Lukemorse1. Perhaps you could ask him for a floppy image?

https://www.youtube.com/user/lukemorse1

Good Luck!  :)

-98digger

TurfMasta

I have 2 different C-BUS expansion boxes for my Note. The one in the picture is this one:
http://www.pasocomclub.co.jp/htmls/1800000013432-9.html

There are actually several different models of these boxes, depending on how many expansion slots you need.  I have a 3 slot one, but I am missing a cable for it so I'm only using the single slot one now.  You can find a deal every once in a while for one on yjp.

I got lucky with my NS/A system.  It was listed as junk for 1k yen, but it worked fine when it arrived.  Had a 250mb hard drive, and the CPU/RAM upgrade already installed.  I did learn that some of these notes have serious corrosion inside from the batteries.  My battery corrosion stayed localized to 2 spots on the metal shielding.

TurfMasta

Chris at Windy Gaming lent me his disk that was included with his set.

I was under the impression it was some sort of boot disk, but I was wrong.  It has 2 files, Install and the FXGA.exe file.  I didn't make an image of the floppy since it was just 2 files.  Not that many people will need it, but here's the download link.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=20526679855723979252

Dr.Wily

Bump !

What the very smallest configuration for running PC-Fx GA ? PC-Fx GA is installed on a PC-9801 UV with a Nec V30 8/10Mhz and 384Kb of RAM.

When I run FXGA.EXE, the machine stuck and I need to make a hard reset. Tested on both DOS 3.3r and 6.22.

Any idea ?
@+

Dr.Wily

Simm's Club - French LAN Gaming (PC & Consoles) : http://www.asso-sc.com

98digger

Quote from: Dr.Wily on October 24, 2015, 10:56:46 PM
Bump !

What the very smallest configuration for running PC-Fx GA ? PC-Fx GA is installed on a PC-9801 UV with a Nec V30 8/10Mhz and 384Kb of RAM.

When I run FXGA.EXE, the machine stuck and I need to make a hard reset. Tested on both DOS 3.3r and 6.22.

Any idea ?

According to the PC-FXGA's box, you need at least an i486 CPU running at 33Mhz and a CD-ROM drive (with the CD-ROM extensions program installed). Also, I don't think that 384KB of RAM is going to be enough for the FXGA, so I'd try upgrading it to 640KB. You might want to replace the CPU as well, if possible.

Personally, I don't think the FXGA is going to work well on the PC-9801UV. You might want to consider buying a PC-9821, most of which can use the PC-FXGA without any upgrades or modifications.

Dr.Wily

QuoteAlso, I don't think that 384KB of RAM is going to be enough for the FXGA, so I'd try upgrading it to 640KB. You might want to replace the CPU as well, if possible.

FX-Ga has his own RAM and chips, this is a totaly standalone PC-Fx in a PC-98. afaik FX-Ga card only need to access to the CD-ROM.

DOS 6.22 and CD-ROM drive works flawlessly on this PC-98, a lot of games work too... but a simple driver like FXga freeze the system... strange...
@+

Dr.Wily

SkyeWelse

I don't have one of these cards yet to test out, but a couple of things to troubleshoot if you haven't already. 1) Have you tested the CD-Rom already to ensure that it plays PC-98 games or if it can read the contents of a CD? When I first got my Ce2, the CD-Rom looked like it was in working condition and even ejected and retracted the tray (once I fixed the button that is) but it still would not read disks when using the correct NECCDSYS drivers. Eventually I found a new Cd-Rom drive that would work with a different, newer version of NECCDSYS.

2) I'm not sure where I read this, but I thought I had heard that it requires a SCSI CD-Rom drive, but again I'm not sure on this since I do not own one of these yet. If I ever do end up getting one, I'll be happy to test it. My Ce2 uses an IDE CD-Rom drive, but I do have a SCSI port on the back of the machine that perhaps would allow for a SCSI CD-Rom drive as well.

-Thomas

Dr.Wily

Yes CD-ROM (actually DVD-ROM Pioneer DVD-303-SA) works like a charm. It's a SCSI drive chained with SCSI HDD. System boot from HDD and run program from it and from CD-ROM drive.

I think there is not enough memory or the processor (V30) is not compatible...
@+

Dr.Wily

famiac

here it is in case anyone wants it

Thanks SkyeWelse!