Hello - strange behavior when loading

Started by Ale555, March 14, 2015, 08:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ale555

Hello everybody, my x68k started doing this strange thing when loading.
The screen flashes everytime I hear the floppy drive loading or accessing the floppy, even when I put it in.
No flashing when accessing the HDD.
What could it be? PSU has been serviced... is it already failing?
The system works perfectly btw - good image on tv using Micomsoft XPC-4, good sound on a SC-55 setup, good response to both keyboard and joypad, and both FDD's never failed reading a floppy.

Dal

I suggest replacing all the electrolytic capacitors. There's plenty of info about this in the wiki.

Ale555

Thank you for the reply. You mean replacing every capacitor or just those in the floppy drives? I will need someone to do it by the way, since I have no ability in those kind of things...

Dal

Capacitors go dry over time - a lot of 20-30 year old hardware is failing for this very reason. As a collector, I'm spending a lot of my time reconditioning my machines. If you're going to own this stuff, I think it's worth knowing how to keep them maintained.

You could replace the ones around the floppy drives and the big 2200mf on the motherboard as a minimum and there's a reasonable chance this fault will disappear however you'll likely encounter other faults as the other capacitors start to go dry.

I recently recapped my dead ACE and brought it back to life. It's a big job (took most of a day) but at least it's good for another 30+ years.

Ale555

Ale555

Hello, here I am after a while. I managed recapping the PSU (thanks to a friend), but it still has the flickering when accessing the FDD's. Meanwhile I managed to build an external compactflash hdd and I have no issue when loading with that.
Any idea?

famiac

Ideally you should recap the entire computer, including daughterboard

Ale555

Wow... I'll see what to do since I wanted to get a XVI... thank you so much!!