Saturn discs wont spin unless you help it

Started by airthrow, January 10, 2015, 05:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airthrow

Hi guys, I am trying to fix a Saturn.  I can see the red in the laser diode, so I think it is good.  When I put in a disc as normal, it says tray empty.  But if I have the saturn lid off and hold the tray button down and then give the disc a good nudge, it will start spinning and read fine, otherwise the disc never spins. 

Once it spins, the saturn reads the disc fine.  So I think my laser is working.  Is there a pot to adjust the drive motor, or a place to see if enough voltage is getting to the drive motor (or a test for it, which voltage should I give it?)

If not, is there a place to get a replacement drive motor?  If my motor is bad I don't think a laser assembly will make a difference.

eidis

Hi Airthrow !

QuoteWhen I put in a disc as normal, it says tray empty.  But if I have the saturn lid off and hold the tray button down and then give the disc a good nudge, it will start spinning and read fine, otherwise the disc never spins. 

Once it spins, the saturn reads the disc fine.

Yes, the laser is showing some signs of life but there is no guarantee that it complies to minimum requirements for reliably reading the discs. Just give it some time and this trick will no longer work because the laser most probably is on its last legs right now. Sure you could tweak the pot but that will give you only a short term solution because the increased voltage will wear out the already bad laser more faster. I have seen such symptoms as well on more than three of my consoles and it was always due to worn out laser. First of all you could try cleaning the laser lens with isopropyl alcohol. If that does not help, it is highly advisable to replace the laser. The JVC OPTIMA6 and JVC OPTIMA6S could be compatible with your unit, but you will need to confirm it.

List of console pick-up assemblies
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=game_console_laser_pick-up_assemblies

QuoteIs there a pot to adjust the drive motor, or a place to see if enough voltage is getting to the drive motor (or a test for it, which voltage should I give it?)

If it aint broken, don't fix it.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

airthrow

Ah, I figured if the disc could spin only with help it wasn't the laser at all but the drive motor...if you're pretty sure the laser will make a difference, I'll pick one up?  Thanks!

eidis

Hi Airthrow !

I would say the chances are 80/20 that the laser is causing you trouble. You can try tweaking the pot to confirm this but don't turn it more than 25 degrees to the right or you will risk frying the laser.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.