PS1 Sync Mod Failure (Fixed!)

Started by NightSprinter, December 07, 2014, 01:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightSprinter

First thread of my own, and I'm confused as to what is going on.  I followed the GameSX wiki and added separated outputs for horizontal and vertical sync to my PS1 (that way I can use the component cables for the RGB and audio portion).  The strange part is this: my monitor and capture card are recognizing a signal (at least from sync, so the sync part DOES work), but I may have fried the A/V out port?  Reason I say this, is because I get a rolling image now on composite or s-video.  I checked all my ground points, and they were functional.  Doesn't matter if one of the regional modders or someone from out of town/state takes a look, I just want to enjoy the PS1 in proper 240p/480i.

Andy-Antsinpants

I think the PS1 does not support progressive scan, while the PS2 does with certain PS2 games when using the component video cable?
So this might be relevant to your problem, since you mentioned 240p?

NightSprinter

240p is actually supported by many consoles even up to the Wii.  It's just so low a resolution that many recent televisions cannot recognize it.  My unmodded PS1 set up has a pseudo RGsB output (just use another adapter or two to mix composite video with green on my monitor), and my monitor shows it as 15KHz while pass-thru to my capture card shows 720x240 59.94fps.

[Edit]

So, I have a couple vids of the issue that happens, as well as a pic of the attempted mod.  The vids show what happens (I'm still not sure if it's a grounding issue or not).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7st8pYhiLk_Z21pY3YySHluQjA/view?usp=sharing First video of issue.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7st8pYhiLk_dVFBeGNVam45dms/view?usp=sharing Second video of issue.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7st8pYhiLk_RmNiUFM1Wmo1REU/view?usp=sharing Picture of the mod (yes, I need to do a very delicate soldering job for where I tore off the CSync pad to restore that, which might restore composite and s-video).

NightSprinter

I managed to somehoe barely repair the part I damaged.  It both restored composite and s-video, but also fixed my color and sync issues.  Save for that earliet screwup, I can whole-heartedly say that doing a separate sync mod is ridiculously-easy.  Makes things easier in the fact a component cable is all that one needs for an RGB mod.

Lastly, if anyone might find this info useful, not all 240p games on the PS1 output the typical 59.97Hz.  The "arcade" display settings on some of the Midway compilations output at 59.3Hz.  This could screw with some upscalers that rely on a proper NTSC refresh.

Andy-Antsinpants

It's good to hear that you were able to fix the problem. I'll have a look at the wiki later on to take a look at the mod you referred to.

NightSprinter

Yeah, if you have a display that can accept 15KHz RGBHV, this mod is dead-simple.  Just simply add two RCA jacks to the console, then wire up each sync signal from the pads on the GameSX page for PS1 Sync, and wire up the grounds.  Then one can use a PS2/PS3 component cable to provide the color and audio signals.  Playing Arcade Party Pak with it and setting Smash T.V.'s display setting to "Arcade" really makes it look like I'm playing the arcade game.  I can take pics of how everything looks now that I fixed the problem.