News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

NOOB Question!

Started by sleepydwarf, December 02, 2014, 01:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleepydwarf

Hey All,

So I luckily managed to buy an FM Towns II Fresh E a while back and am having great fun with this amazing machine.

I do however have one probably really stupid question, I have searched and searched and cannot find an answer, so if this has been asked elsewhere I am really sorry.

How do you get the machine to save high scores etc.  I have a hard drive connected, it is working fine, Mahou Daisakusen is installed fine along with  few other odds and ends, but nothing ever saves.

Chase HQ for example always loads up with an untouched high score table.

Are saves in some way defaulted to an IC Card? I dont have one of these, if what I have read is correct it uses linear SRAM cards, which at the moment are a little spendy. Are there any other options?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

SuperDeadite

Each game is it's own unique piece of code.  Score saving to floppies or HDD would have to be a feature each developer chose to include.  And the vast majority of them didn't, lol.  Just take a picture of the monitor, or you want to keep it real, use a pencil and paper.

sleepydwarf

Thanks for the reply SuperDeadite,

Bit of a shame, though not really a major disaster and wont stop me enjoying this amazing system.
Anyone know what the intended use for the IC cards in these machine?

AnnaWu

An interesting article "IC Memory Cards for FM-Towns Computers" by Parazythum
http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/pc98/articles/articles.html

sleepydwarf

Thanks for the link Anna, it is a very interesting read for sure.

Much appreciated.

H68k

Don't be surprised about games not saving there high score tables.. Very few Arcade games in real life save there high score data to there battery backed up memory. mostly it's used for the likes of saving book keeping data, game play stats and the games configuration etc.

I do remember seeing some ROM patches out there somewhere that make a number of Sega Arcade titles save there high score data to the boards battery-backed-up memory. but there flaky at best, and only a few of them truly work right 100% of the time.