French NES broken - how to get repairs?

Started by johnpierce, November 17, 2014, 12:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnpierce

Hi people,
I am the owner of one of those nice French NES consoles that have a full RGB output. You can guess that I tresure this piece of hardware a lot. However, I recently had to discover that the NES no longer turns on. At first I had the standard blinking issues, which I fixed by cleaning the game module connector. Afterwards there was no more blinking - but sadly there is also no image or sound at all now. Just a few white dots on the screen for half a second when I turn the console on or off. I don't think that I have made any kind of mistake while cleaning the connector, have tried putting it in and out numerous times now, however with no luck.

I know that fixing such a problem over the internet seems somewhat helpless; however, I just don't know where to turn. I'm living in Germany btw. Anybody know a place that I could bring this baby to for fixing, or any ideas on what might be wrong with my NES?

eidis

Hi Johnpierce !

A YouTube video of the faulty hardware in action could help a lot in diagnosing the failure. Most of the times the first thing to do is checking if the power supply is good. You will also have to open the console and check the voltage regulator (probably 7805) with a multimeter. It is close to the power socket and should output +5V. Next step is to replace the capacitors. The next probability is that one of the RAM chips could have gone bad.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

ApolloBoy

Quote from: johnpierce on November 17, 2014, 12:31:12 AM
Hi people,
I am the owner of one of those nice French NES consoles that have a full RGB output
Those "nice" French NESes don't have true RGB, it's composite video converted to RGB so there's no quality difference.

Shadow_Zero

Quote from: ApolloBoy on November 18, 2014, 12:41:51 PM
Quote from: johnpierce on November 17, 2014, 12:31:12 AMHi people,
I am the owner of one of those nice French NES consoles that have a full RGB output
Those "nice" French NESes don't have true RGB, it's composite video converted to RGB so there's no quality difference.
Well, I at least can say the video looks different from the regular NES over composite (and to me it does looks better). That can be various things I reckon, but just wanted to share my experience  :)