Mitsubishi Megaview?

Started by Survival_Tobita, October 02, 2003, 12:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Survival_Tobita

I'm looking to get one of these, and someone here may have one. Looks like it would make a great monitor, but I've been unable to find the answer to a few questions I have. Number 1, will the BNC composite sync jack accept the sync from a composite video line (such as from a Playstation) or is the sync separator needed? Number 2, just what is the pinout on the DB-15 input? The "Pro" models have regular VGA connectors, but the others have a DB-15. Is that maybe an old Mac pinout or maybe the odd "Japanese computer monitor" pinout? Thanks if you can help.

Endymion

Quotewill the BNC composite sync jack accept the sync from a composite video line (such as from a Playstation) or is the sync separator needed?

Think about this for a second and it should become clear. The input on the monitor is composite sync. If the line coming from your console is composite sync then no changes are necessary.  If on the other hand it is composite video then the sync has to be extracted, que no?

Survival_Tobita

I thought that maybe since SCART sets pull the composite sync from the video signal (unless I'm mistaken) it wouldn't be impossible for someone to build that capability into a monitor too. Of course, there's a REASON for that in SCART sets. But I figured I'd ask in case anybody knew if it was spefiically an exception to the rule; also I'd really like to know the answer to the other one. Sorry if my supreme idiocy has offended you.  :lol:  

Endymion

That seems to vary with the monitors I think, although I have no experience with a SCART TV personally. As for the DB15, it's probably not the same as the old Mac video but have you googled for the monitor model you're looking for? It's usually the best way to get a pinout, either/or through the manufacturer's support site. You would be surprised how many old tech documents are online. (I know I am, when they predate the wwweb as we know it.)

Edit--Found this on the 37" Megaview, if I remember right the TTL is digital RGB and therefore unusable for your games so the DB15 is the only RGB to use. Bottom of the page: " For more information on the MegaView 37 or any of Mitsubishi's other large screen color monitors, call the office nearest you today. Detailed technical specifications available upon request.

Monitor Part Number: XC3716C(B)"

Picking up the phone seems a lot like "getting your hands dirty" in this day and age but it's worth a try for the pinout if you can at least get a toll-free number.

Well...

I actually bought one of these bad boys, the XC-3315C (31" viewable) model for $160 including freight (which was $125 of that lol) and testing it with a Genesis, the thing actually WAS accepting sync from the straight composite video signal when using the BNC RGB input.

Survival_Tobita

Arf, I forgot to log in. Anyway, there's my findings. I made damn well sure the alligator clip wasn't touching the sync pin (which as  you know is right next to the comp video pin) when I was doing it; the picture was just dandy with either sync or comp video.

Endymion

That's good to know, some of the high-end broadcast monitors (Sony PVM, etc.) separate the sync on their own, jus bear this in mind as other monitors don't usually have this capability. Sounds like a great monitor, where did you find it? Ebay?

Survival_Tobita

Yeah, ebay. The Megaview range is fairly common on there. There's probably a few examples on there right now.

I have a Megaview 3315c, it rocks so much.  I played just about every system on it in rgb and have no complaints.  Beautiful picture and big screen.  It weighs a lot though!  Need two strong people to move it.  My favorite is playing xbox through the X-RGB on it.  Xbox in pure RGB totally rocks cause I can watch Xvid/Divx/Mpeg2 movies and they look so crisp.  The emulators are practically perfect for all pre-PSX/N64 console and arcade systems, and the gameplay graphics look absolutely amazing.

ssbomberman

ok so I have some questions. I came here because recognized some of the posters and actually Matt on here made my RGB cables, so anyway.

I have a Megaview 33 inch with the Mac style 15 pin RGB input.

So I figured all I needed to do was take my consoles and hook them up to a db15 connector and hook it to the TV and go with RGB. I have console RGB cables for all my systems already and they work with my commodores and Sony PVM monitors in RGB mode.

So they are setup to have Mac style DB15 connecters so I can hook them to a common switch box. So I then output to the TV with a DB15 extension cable from the switchbox and all should work, right? I tried directly connecting as well with no luck.

The closest I get is a jumpy screen with the Saturn. PS2 and DC do nothing.

So my question is: do I need new console RGB cables specifically made for this TV? Or do I need some sort of monitor-end cable that my current RGB cables should connect too?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I've been using the s-video and feel like I am wasting the true talents of the monitor.

I have a 33 inch Mitsubishi Megaview myself (XC3315c).  Below is the pinouts for the 15 pin din.

pin 1 = RED
pin 2 = GREEN
pin 3 = BLUE
pin 4 = H sync or composite sync
pin 5 = V sync
pin 9-11  = GROUND

Jerry bearing

QuoteI have a 33 inch Mitsubishi Megaview myself (XC3315c).  Below is the pinouts for the 15 pin din.

pin 1 = RED
pin 2 = GREEN
pin 3 = BLUE
pin 5 = V sync
pin 9-11  = GROUND
Can you tell me where can i buy a XC3315C monitor?

Ebay sometimes has them.

Are these the kinds of monitors that used to be in airports and stuff, before they all got replaced with flat panels?

QuoteI have a 33 inch Mitsubishi Megaview myself (XC3315c).  Below is the pinouts for the 15 pin din.

pin 1 = RED
pin 2 = GREEN
pin 3 = BLUE
pin 5 = V sync
pin 9-11  = GROUND
I spent AGES looking for that info, and it shows up while I'm just looking at random stuff. Figures.
You rule.

You happen to have the full pinout? I'm curious what the rest of the pins do.

QuoteI have a 33 inch Mitsubishi Megaview myself (XC3315c).  Below is the pinouts for the 15 pin din.

pin 1 = RED
pin 2 = GREEN
pin 3 = BLUE
pin 5 = V sync
pin 9-11  = GROUND
I spent AGES looking for that info, and it shows up while I'm just looking at random stuff. Figures.
You rule.

Sorry, those are the only pins I know what they do.  I no longer have the monitor, so I cannot check anymore.  And yes, it did take ages, since finding the pinouts online was impossible.

Thanks anyways.
You still rule.

Sunny585

Hi Jerry, I have two XC3315C monitors. If your still interested, email at ew585@yahoo.com

Mark SG

I have a Mitsubishi XC3315c Megaview Monitor that I'm selling, as well as a Mitsubishi 26-inch.  Email me a glinskym@sbcglobal.net.
Located in Arlington, TX.

A Murder of Crows

Doesn anyone have the remote that would work with the XC-3730C?

A Murder of Crows

QuoteI have a 33 inch Mitsubishi Megaview myself (XC3315c).  Below is the pinouts for the 15 pin din.

pin 1 = RED
pin 2 = GREEN
pin 3 = BLUE
pin 5 = V sync
pin 9-11  = GROUND
You rule.

Sorry, those are the only pins I know what they do.  I no longer have the monitor, so I cannot check anymore.  And yes, it did take ages, since finding the pinouts online was impossible.
i contacted Mitsubishi and they sent me the pinout manuals.

BioSehnsucht

! Wow small world I just found this looking for the pinout just now.. I have a mitsu xc 3725 (37 something, I think 25.. kinda hard to double check the back of it..) and was wanting to try the other input and see if it worked better, I have a BNC breakout cable but the Red and Blue are not bright enough, Green is ok, and red cuts out sometimes.. tried the apple cable adapter already and nothing happened as thats not the same as has been pointed out already

I got this thing for free tho, can't complain.

Also, if I flip the BNC's on it from 75 ohm to high impedence the B/R get brighter but then I have problems with color smearing since its kinda overdriving things :D but the overbrighted B/R are only slightly brighter than the G, so things like ok when R is workin'.

I wanna try fixing it since I'm sure its a dry / cracked solder joint someplace thats killing the R (when it goes out you can hear its cooling fan change pitch too), how'd you contact em for the info? Want to get me a service manual if I can..

Thur night (well like 3am) I was toolin' around their site and found their live help thingy and filled out the form, no one to answer and no email back even tho they said they would... I bet they went huh?

anyways thanks for the RGB pinout info time to go hack up a cable and see what happens :D

A Murder of Crows

the pinout is just part of it...they sent me a "Mini" manual.

first thing i'd do is get all the caps replaced.  the 3725 series is older than mine, and mine was made in 1996.

Now if only i could find someone to do that for me locally....

I still want to replace or add in my own connections to this thing....Either an SCart to BNC adapter and change the DSub to VGA, or perhaps removing BNC altogether and just use 2 Scart RGBs and VGA.

BioSehnsucht

Yeah I'm sure its caps or resistors or similar simple points of failure..

Again, mind telling me how you contacted them i.e. if by phone what # ?

I hacked up a Mitsu DB15 to VGA connection (VGA extension cut in half into a breadboard with breadboarding wires wrapped/taped to the vga wires that are too thin to breadboard; a DB15 IDC ribbon cable crimp connector I had handy onto a stripped down floppy cable, stripped and also connected to breadboard via the breadboarding wires etc) and it looks like crap (this is ghetto) but blue is the correct brightness! YAY! Red still dead, which means the red cutout is further in.

Downside: It only accepts 640x480, 1024x768 from my x360 (whereas any rez works on BNC, including 1280x720 (v/h squeeze adjustments nonsufficient to make it proper 16:9 tho) and 1280x1024 ('5:4' but 4:3 displayed, native rez of this thing supposedly..)

Granted, it didn't even work at first until I was almost ready to give up and bumped the wires and I heard the sync relays click ! So maybe 1280x1024 will work if I didn't have such a ghetto wire job. Now that I know it partially works I may be about to solder a proper job together... but maybe not tonight.

Off hand, does the min manual specify if the resolutions supported on the DB15 are different from the BNC connectors (i.e., maybe its not my ghetto wiring but in fact the failure to even scan that high on DB15) ?

I have a friend who sorta-kinda knows how to fix some issues w/ monitors but if I had a service manual and could overcome my fear of death by discharge (I have a healthy fear of electrocution and am a bit paranoid about trying to discharge and hope its fully discharged.. :D ) I'm sure I can fix anything thats reasonably fixable..  

BioSehnsucht

Oh and I do realize the xc3725c isn't rated to 1280x1024, but on the BNC's it'll allow itself to be pushed to it anyways :D

I'd rather have 1280 so I can letterbox 720p, but 1024x768 is most of the time not noticibly worse off.. I actually have to set this to play PGR3 on any 4:3 display instead of 1280x1024 cause PGR3 is dumb and thinks anything greater than 1024x768 = 16:9, and stretches vertically.. (but the menus don't .. teh hell?)

edit: actually now I know why I am confusing myself, I am finding conflicting infos on teh web saying max 1024x768 or max 1280x1024 .. gar!

if nothing else I'll try calling the # on the megaview site this week.. didn't realize they had that site until now, I was looking at the generic necmitsu site..

Matarick

QuoteI actually bought one of these bad boys, the XC-3315C (31" viewable) model for $160 including freight (which was $125 of that lol) and testing it with a Genesis, the thing actually WAS accepting sync from the straight composite video signal when using the BNC RGB input.
Holy crap. where did you get it at your price?

Also, I might be interested in a megaview since I might want to make my own arcade cabinet out of it by making a Jamma to RGB Megaview cable input.

I hope the other people who are selling them would offer it at similar prices as well.

JB

QuoteI actually bought one of these bad boys, the XC-3315C (31" viewable) model for $160 including freight (which was $125 of that lol) and testing it with a Genesis, the thing actually WAS accepting sync from the straight composite video signal when using the BNC RGB input.
Holy crap. where did you get it at your price?

Also, I might be interested in a megaview since I might want to make my own arcade cabinet out of it by making a Jamma to RGB Megaview cable input.

I hope the other people who are selling them would offer it at similar prices as well.
All a matter of being the right place at the right time, I suspect.

Mine was free. Doing volunteer work for a group, and they had one donated that they couldn't find a use for.  

yo yo yo

I own a Mitsubishi xc-3315c. I haven't hooked it up with RGB or anything yet, but I have with S-video. It looks and works great... for about an hour. Then it starts to get all squiggly and jumpy. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Cap kit? What can I do to fix it? Thanks

viletim!

yo yo yo,
From your vague discription I'd guess that there's a problem in the vertical section, perhaps with the vertical output IC. It's unlikely the resault of faulty capacitors as they tend act up when cold then get better as the set warms up.

You might want to take a look at the sci.electronics.repair FAQ as well ask on the newsgroup itself.

Roemick

Here is the full pinout of the RGB2 input

1  R
2  G
3  B
4  H/Comp Sync
5  VSync
6  Half-Tone (Ym)
7  Video Output
8  N.C.
9  R gnd
10 G gnd
11 B gnd
12 H/Comp Sync (TTL)
13 VSync (TTL)
14 Super Impose Control
15 Gnd (Video Out)

zero3

Quote from: A Murder of Crows on May 14, 2006, 04:47:14 AM

pin 1 = RED
pin 2 = GREEN
pin 3 = BLUE
pin 5 = V sync
pin 9-11  = GROUND
You rule.

i contacted Mitsubishi and they sent me the pinout manuals.

Does anyone have the image A Murder of Crows posted?

Also, I'm looking for the manual/pinouts for the XC-3730C. If anyone can post that, thanks.

fmw63

Yes, I know it's an old thread... but does anyone still have these images of the Mitsu xc megaview monitor manuals? I can't get these old ones to work at all...

A Murder of Crows

Quote from: fmw63 on September 21, 2011, 09:23:13 AM
Yes, I know it's an old thread... but does anyone still have these images of the Mitsu xc megaview monitor manuals? I can't get these old ones to work at all...

i just downloaded them.  they work fine.  you need both parts of the rar in the same directory when you open it up to extract it.

fmw63

Thanks! It worked....I did have them both in the same directory, but this time, I clicked on them together to extract ( I use WinRar).

fmw63

Anybody know how to get a laptop (HP 6910P) to work with this monitor using the RGB inputs? The monitor works with my old laptop (IBMT23), but not the HP.  I even made cable to try the rgb2 input (DB15) but no luck there either. Any ideas?

The laptop pinout is

1- Red analog
2 - Green analog
3 - Blue analog
4 - not connected
5 - ground
6 - ground analog
7 - ground analog
8 - ground analog
9 - +5VDC
10 - ground
11 - monitor detect
12 - DDC 2B data
13 - horizontal sync
14 - vertical sync
15 - DDC 2b clock

fmw63

GOT IT!! YAYYYY....  Pin 11 from the laptop (monitor detect) needed to be grounded.....  ;D   ;D   ;D

mugenmidget

Picked up one of these (Mitsubishi Megaview Pro 27 XC2935C) in August of last year for $30 and loved it as a monitor for emulation.  I had Soft 15 kHz installed and was very happy playing games in MAME at their native resolution.  Unfortunately, a couple of days ago, all the fun came to an end.  :(

While switching resolutions (I chose Ghosts N Goblins after playing GI Joe so I guess it was switching into 256x224 from 288x224) there was a very loud pop as the monitor flickered and went black.  The power light was still on (if not a bit dimmer) and the fan that usually runs completely stopped.  I tried turning it back on again and heard another series of pops/electric arcing noises.   :'(

I have it unplugged now, but do I have any options from this point?  I tried a local repair shop that was recommended on another site and they acted like they haven't worked on these kinds of monitors and probably wouldn't have the parts for it (unless it was a power supply issue, supposedly).

The picture wasn't fading or soft, it did seem to look great right before the failure.  From my limited reading online, it sounds like it might be a flyback transformer failure (possibly from accumulation of dust).  Does anyone have experience with diagnosing these monitors or additional service manuals that might help?

I'd appreciate any assistance, although at this point I'll probably just need to junk it.  :-\

Endymion

Why don't you open it up and have a look? That can't hurt at this point, who knows what you'll see. A bunch of popcorned capacitors, a blown fuse, etc.