Video amplitude from a Neo-Geo MV-1FZ?

Started by KillingBeans, January 24, 2012, 08:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KillingBeans

I'm planning to build a consolized MVS with my MV-1FZ board as the centerpiece  8)

I'd like to pass the correct video signal levels on to the SCART, but I don't have an oscilloscope, and I haven't had much luck googling the information, so now I'm asking you guys:

What is the amplitude of the R, G, B and CSync signals from a MV-1FZ board?.. 5Vpp?

If i'm not mistaken, a TV with SCART expects video amplitudes of 0.7Vpp. But is that only regarding the R, G and B signals? I've got a feeling, that the CSync line needs special attention.

Also, what value of capacitors would you recommended for removing the DC offset?

Hojo_Norem

I found that putting a 75 Ohm resistor in series on each of the RGB and CS lines produced a good picture on the TVs (tubes and LCDs) I tested my supergun with both my MV-1FZS and MV-2B boards.  As for caps I didn't use any on my old supergun but I will on new one and I found out different TV's handle DC offset in different ways.  My component to SCART adapter (made from a hacked up Wii VGA cable) I use to connect my Blu-Ray to my TV worked ok on my Panny but caused my current Toshiba to flicker badly.  I added some 220uf caps (value picked purely at random) in series to the RGB lines (neg leg to output) and the picture improved immediately.

But I would wait and see if any of the other regulars have any better advice as I don't have any hard facts, only my own experience to go on.

Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

RGB32E

Use 150 to 220 ohm resistors in series on the RGB lines to get the appropriate levels.  The XRGB series (prior to the mini) has a 220 ohm setting that drops the voltage down to acceptible levels.  I use 150 or 160 ohm resistors.  IIRC with 75 ohm resistors the signal is still a bit too strong.  Any RGB input should have 75 ohm resistors to ground.  Adding a series resistor creates a voltage divider circuit.  Hence, with a 75 ohm series resistor, the math works out to be 75 / (75 + 75) = 0.5.  So the voltage is halved.  150 ohm would be 0.333 (one third), and 220 ohm would be 0.254.

I believe the MVS RGB output is DC coupled, and not AC coupled, so a cap isn't necessary.  I'm sure it would be fine to experiment though.  Perhaps user viletim can shed some light on this.

KillingBeans

Quote from: RGB32E on January 26, 2012, 01:36:31 PM
Adding a series resistor creates a voltage divider circuit.

I know. If the amplitude was 5Vpp, I would need to use a 470 ohm resistor to get it down to ~0.7Vpp. But I guess the amplitude isn't that high on an MVS board. I think I'll just put some 500 ohm potentiometers on the R, G and B lines. That should have me covered :)

But what about the sync line? I've seen some SuperGun designs with a 1K resistor on that one. Does the SCART standard specify a very low amplitude on the sync line?

I believe the MVS RGB output is DC coupled, and not AC coupled, so a cap isn't necessary.

Awesome! That's nice to know :)

Perhaps user viletim can shed some light on this.

I'd might send him a mail. He seems to know his way around arcade/scart RGB :)