X68KFDUINO - new adapter for external Floppy Drive for HxC & Gotek

Started by aotta, June 03, 2023, 04:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aotta

I decided to start a new thread for my new open source project, that i just uploaded to github:
https://github.com/aotta/X68KFDUINO
I didn't make yet a lot of tests, but till now most games work fine!

It doesn't work T&T (no blink neither eject signal seems sent by the PC!!), and for Dracula you need to eject/insert the floppy via the push button in the board when blinking.

I wrote the code in a few days e without a real background about how /insert, /eject, /blink etc. signals works, so anyone could improve and correct my source.

Here's some of the floppy i played with my adapter and my HxC:

aotta

I added the model for a 3d printed case:

so far, i still can't Tunnels&Trolls, could someone with FDX68 confirm TnT works with it? 

X-Col

Hi,

although I haven't a clue what I'm doing in the game, it boots just fine with the FDX68

aotta

Quote from: X-Col on June 05, 2023, 08:50:17 PMHi,

although I haven't a clue what I'm doing in the game, it boots just fine with the FDX68
Thank you, so i must review or speed in some way my code, since i lost quite always the eject signal with this game!

aotta

I made new version of the adapter based on the faster (and even cheaper!) Raspberry PICO:

https://github.com/aotta/X68KFDPi

It works fine with every games i tested so far, with "blinking" leds and "lock red leds" working too!
And finally i can play to Tunnel & Trolls! ;)

amazin

I have a few questions:

1) What's the state of your internal drives on your X68000? Are they working, are they 0 and 1?

2) In case the answer to #1 is yes, the drives are working, what's the number/letter of the Gotek drives on your card? Or they can "overpower" somehow the internal interface and become 0 and 1?

Thanks

aotta

Right, i forget mentioning i changed internal drives to 2 and 3 and set hxc to 0 and 1, since some games look for disk in these slot to work.

rezb1t

Very cool project! If someone started making and selling these, I would buy one.

ark125

Can you please, add to the github project a list with the manufacturer part number or LibRef for each product?

I don't know which exact connector or components to use.

If it is possible to have a Digikey or mouser part list it would be a great help.

Thank you so much.

aotta

I added the BOM list generated by Kicad here:
https://github.com/aotta/X68KFDPi/blob/main/KiCAD/X68KFDPI.csv

If i found time, i'll fill more info for each product, but i bought most from ebay or aliexpress, since they are all "generic" components that you could find everywhere

atssada

Wow, great..

I am building one according to Github, but can you share more info about Gotek side configuration?
I am using FlashFloppy 3.41.

What is the best value for interface?

# jc: Specified by jumper JC (open: shugart, closed: ibmpc)
# shugart: P2=DSKCHG, P34=RDY (Amiga, Atari ST, many others)
# ibmpc: P2=unused, P34=DSKCHG (IBM PC interface)
# ibmpc-hdout: P2=HD_OUT, P34=DSKCHG (not generally needed: prefer 'ibmpc')
# jppc: P2=unused, P34=RDY (Japanese PC standard)
# jppc-hdout: P2=HD_OUT, P34=RDY (Japanese PC alternate: prefer 'jppc')
# akai-s950: Legacy alias of 'jppc-hdout', previously used for Akai S950
# amiga: P2=DSKCHG, P34=DRIVE_ID (not generally needed: prefer 'shugart')
interface =

aotta

i used no particular configuration for gotek.. flashed with Flashfloppy firmware and used both shugart and jppc interface successfully. The X68k use more his signals than ready and other standard ones, i think!

atssada

Quote from: aotta on August 10, 2023, 02:25:07 AMi used no particular configuration for gotek.. flashed with Flashfloppy firmware and used both shugart and jppc interface successfully. The X68k use more his signals than ready and other standard ones, i think!

Thank you so much!
Let me continue its build up!

mez

HIggy

I got the parts and built up some of @aotta X68KFDPi boards. - thanks for designing and releasing these to the community.

I run two Gotek drives stacked-up, so I wanted to integrate the X68KFDPi board and have a nice neat setup with minimal cables coming off at different directions. After about 10 revisions of the Lower case and 3 on the Upper case I came up with my solution. I had to utilise some intricate folding of the cables inside the case to enable them to all come out the back (there might have been a simplier way, but I could not see it :) )

I made a little mod to the PCB. Because I have 2 Gotek drives I needed 2 'Power Out' so on the Floppy Power header I linked the 5V to the normally 12V (but on the PCB it is not connected), and because there is already a spare Ground now I had 5V-GND-GND-5V so I made up a cable and I can now power my 2 Goteks (I will revise the cable lengths and make them shorter).

X68000_Floppy1.jpg
X68000_Floppy2.jpg

aotta

Very nice setup, i only suggest you a light grey PLA for printing the lighter case, i found one matching very closely the x68000 case! 😜
And, i massively use gotek for my retro collection, but for x68k i bought an HxC, it's better IMHO

tskaf

Quote from: HIggy on February 02, 2024, 07:01:06 AMAfter about 10 revisions of the Lower case and 3 on the Upper case I came up with my solution.

I'm building one of these PCBs myself, I don't suppose you'd be willing to publish the stl files for your case? Thanks.

kanjiology

If anyone builds more of these let me know, I would like one.

tskaf

Quote from: kanjiology on March 26, 2024, 02:13:20 AMIf anyone builds more of these let me know, I would like one.

I ordered 3 PCBs so if everything goes well with my build I might be willing to sell the other two for what it costs to build them + shipping.

kanjiology

Quote from: tskaf on March 26, 2024, 02:46:31 AM
Quote from: kanjiology on March 26, 2024, 02:13:20 AMIf anyone builds more of these let me know, I would like one.

I ordered 3 PCBs so if everything goes well with my build I might be willing to sell the other two for what it costs to build them + shipping.

Sounds great, I'd be down for one. Thank you.

rezb1t

Quote from: tskaf on March 26, 2024, 02:46:31 AM

I would be interested in one too please!

incrediblehark

Same here, would be interested in one if you have any left!

HIggy

Here you are:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6552134

Quote from: tskaf on March 25, 2024, 04:38:11 PM
Quote from: HIggy on February 02, 2024, 07:01:06 AMAfter about 10 revisions of the Lower case and 3 on the Upper case I came up with my solution.

I'm building one of these PCBs myself, I don't suppose you'd be willing to publish the stl files for your case? Thanks.