SNES 50/60hz mod

Started by Sumez, April 14, 2004, 10:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumez

Since in live in Europe, most people I know with a SNES has a PAL. The modded ones all have the region switch and the 50/60hz switch. Not only does enabling 60hz fix some errors and make the game run faster without black borders, it also helps bypass many region locks.
So in order to play some PAL games (such as Terranigma!) on a US SNES, you'd have to make it run in 50hz.
So my question is simple. Is it possible to perform this mod on an american (and what about the Japanese?) system, or did they only add the 50hz thing when they made the European hardware?

hellbelly

As far as I know it is, check out Mark K webpage http://home.freeuk.net/markk/index.html

Maybe someone else can confirm, but I think there is a newer motherboard revision which has the graphics on a single chip, and these can't be modified with a 50/60hz switch?

Ta
Pete

Shadow_Zero

Wasn't Terranigma released in the US?
Hmmmz, there's another game I should still get   :P

benzaldehyde

Actually, I don't think it was. We NTSC-ers have to look to the UK and Australia for our fix of latter Soul Blazer sequels.

Sumez

Seems it's possible on a US SNES according to Mark's page. Thanks a lot.
I'm worried about the later motherboards you mention, but I guess then it's safe to assume it's not possible on a SNES 2.
I'll just have to get a "regular" US SNES, and try my luck, then.

As for Terranigma, no US release, and the European version (if you want it in English) isn't too cheap.

Shadow_Zero

Wow, really?
Now I regret it I didn't pick it up back in the days   heh
Why wasn't it released in America?
I do have Illusion of Time here, great game  :)

Who released those games again...?

Lettuce

But you wouldnt need to add a 50/60hz switch would you?, just the unlock mod, as why would you want to play a game in 50hz mode???

hellbelly

Some PAL games refuse to boot at 60Hz, so you have to start them at 50Hz, then flick to 60Hz once it's reached the title screen.

Pete