Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

SCSI CDROM setup

Started by costa, July 11, 2014, 04:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

costa

Hi guys,

Here I am once again.

I connected an SCSI CDROM to my X68K, and now it tries to boot from the CDROM.
Of course I donĀ“t want that... not now t least.

1. Do I need a terminator in the CDROM drive? It has got two connectors in the back: CN1 and CN1. I am connecting the cable on CN1.
2. I tried setting its ID to a greater number (7, for example), but did not work the same. What ID should I set. I am using the AztecMonster with the default ID set. I thinks it is 3.

Thanks

neko68k

I think the aztecmonster is designed to emulate hard drives not cdrom drives. It may not work at all as you hope it would. This is just a guess though.

caius

As far I know you can't boot from a CD-ROM on X68000, it can be useful  only as storage device.I think Aztec Monster should work with a SCSI CD-ROM .Please, keep in mind you can't assign ID 7 to a SCSI device since it's reserved to the host machine.Try to play with other SCSI settings (block size, parity, PWR terminattion) and try also an hardware terminator.You need also a proper driver to make it recognized under Human O.S.

costa

Hi.

Let me clarify my setup...

I have the AztecMonster installed internally with a CF card. Booting fine, working fine.

Now, I inserted one SCSI controller in one of the IO slots, and connected the CDROM there.

:)

eidis

Hi Costa !

Maybe this will help:

CZ-6BS1: Genuine Sharp SCSI board
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:cz-6bs1_-_genuine_sharp_scsi_board

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

SuperDeadite

SCSI Controller is ID7, do not set any devices to that number.  Main HDD should be ID0.

Yes you will need to terminate the drive.  I've never had to do this, but the SCSI board does have sockets
for a resistor array that works as an internal terminator, you may have to remove this if present.

Finally you need a driver, the system can not read a cd-rom directly.  There are several, but susie is the simpliest,
just go to the prompt and type susie.x e: -idx   This will tell susie to look for a scsi device on in id ''x'' and assign to drive e.
With SUSIE you dont even need to turn the drive on during boot, you can turn it on after the system is booted if you get weird boot issues with a cdrom attached.  Note, somtimes ids dont match up exactly.  My cdrom is set to id3, but the computer finds it at id4...

costa

Hi, thanks for the ideias. Very helpful, I am sure, and I will try as soon as I can boot from the CF with the SCSI installed.
Because as it is now, with the SCSI board installed in one of the IO expansion ports, the X68K says it can not boot form the disk.

It is like the SCSI adapter is taking priority over the AztecMonster/Internal scsi, and I can not boot unless I remove the SCSI external adapter.

Edit: My SCSI board is a SACOM "0661 X68000 SCSI BOARD".

it got TWO jumpers JP1, JP2.
JP1 is on position 1-2
JP2 is on position 1-2

There is also one single resistor in the bord, near the connector.

eidis

Hi Costa !

Have you tried adjusting interrupt priority with the jumpers, as explained in the CZ-6BS1 Wiki article ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

costa

Hi Eidis.

Jumpers was on position 1-2,1-2.
I modified to 2-3,2-3.
same error.

The exact error message is:
Read Error
Abort Retry Ignore

Quote from: eidis on July 13, 2014, 09:28:49 PM
Hi Costa !

Have you tried adjusting interrupt priority with the jumpers, as explained in the CZ-6BS1 Wiki article ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

costa

I ordered a terminator to plug into the CDROM, but that will no fix this error, since it occurs with the SCSI interface inserted in the IO slot but no device (CDROM) connected to it.

I checked the AztecMonster, and it is set to ID 0 (all dip switches are open).

eidis

Hi Costa !

Just out of curiosity. Is it mandatory that the SCSI CDROM be used with the I/O slot SCSI board or would you be willing to connect it to the X68000 external SCSI port ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

costa

That is an option, and I will definitely try as soon as I have the means...
Right now, I have two problems:
1. I do not have a cable or adapter to connect the CDROM to the SCSI connector on the XVI (Centronics)
2. The external connector is not actually connected to the internal SCSI cables, because I replaced the PSU to one ATX, and did not have enough space internally for the CF CARD. Therefore, I pulled the flat cable and power to the other side of the X68K, and had to unplug the external connector form the flat or the flat would no reach the other side.

Any way, it is annoying to have this external SCSI board and not be able to use it.

eidis

Hi Costa !

The following thread might be of interest to you:

X68000 XVI Compact external SCSI cable
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4745.msg31171#msg31171

Some time ago I did a massive research and came to conclusion that the Micro Centronics 50 cable is only available in Japan and can only be bought through Yahoo Auctions.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

costa

Thanks a lot...
Will check that.

Quote from: eidis on July 14, 2014, 04:52:07 AM
Hi Costa !

The following thread might be of interest to you:

X68000 XVI Compact external SCSI cable
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4745.msg31171#msg31171

Some time ago I did a massive research and came to conclusion that the Micro Centronics 50 cable is only available in Japan and can only be bought through Yahoo Auctions.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

costa

Update on this topic...

Today I could have my XVI to read files from the CDROM.
Things are not working as it should yet... let me explain, and leave some more info so it can be useful for someone else in the future.

CDROM drive is IO Data SCSI CDROM, with two HPDB50 connectors: CN1 and CN2.
SCSI interface is SYSTEM SACOM SCSI board for X68000 Version 1.01 1992 with CN50 connector.

To connect this CDROM to the SCSI board I bought this adapter: HPDB50 SCSI-2 Female to CN50 Male SCSI-1 Adapter AD-S06
I bought also one terminator and connected to the CN2 on the CDROM, and the CN1 connected to the SCSI board.

How it worked:
Computer is a X68000 XVI HD with AztecMonster adapter and the Eides hdd image on CF Card. Working perfectly when the SCSI board is not plugged into the computer.
With the SCSI board plugged into the computer, it will not boot. It asks for a bootable media - that is, looks like the SCSI makes the X68000 forget about the AztecMonster and the bootable CF.
However, I can boot from a system floppy.
In this floppy, I added CDDRV.SYS to the CONFIG.SYS.
CDROM.X can now read CDs in ISO-9660 standard.

Jumpers in the SCSI boar dis set to 1-2 for both jumpers.
The cDROM is set uo ID 6.
The AztecMonster is set to ID 0, and the BIOS is set to boot from ID 0.

I tried adding SCSIDRV.SYS to CONFIG.SYS, but in the boot this driver do not load - it display an error, but boot continues.
I believe now that the problem is because I am inserting one SCSI board in the XVI, which has already its now SCSI internally... it conflicts and can not boot from the disk connected to the internal SCSI.

As soon as possible I will try with another X68000 models with SASI and see how it goes.

Also, this weekend I will connect to CDROM to the back Centronics plug of the XVI and see if the CDROM will be accessible when booting from the CF Card.

Will let you all now.

eidis

Hi Costa !

Some time ago I was searching for info for the X68000 FAQ and found something which might interest you. Be prepared for some heavy Engrish though.

Cause can not start SCSIHDD in TS-6BS2mk2 '
Though it is possible to ensure space and format in TS-6BS2mk2 'Some of the HDD
was released recently
Thing that it does not boot if you set as the startup disk came out. Of the NEC (eg
1GB, and SCSIHDD of 2GB)
In addition, this kind of phenomenon, Ya, X68030 series X68000SUPER, XVI,
CompactXvi
I get up in SCSI board of SHARP genuine. (All right in MACH2)
Cause, INQUIARY to determine whether the boot device in SCSIBIOSROM
This is because you are in a byte length of the request message when issuing the
message.
Nothing such a case, it is so I return it expanded to 4 bytes on the side of the drive to
the standard of SCSI1
It does not happen, but it is an error in SCSI2, the drive will have to return the 0X70.
The de becomes a non-bootable in 0X70 because it determines the device in the first
byte in the BIOS
You will not be able to start in order to lead to skip live.
Up version of BIOSROM is most effective as a countermeasure, but for those who do
not have such means
As a countermeasure,
1. I spend BOOTMENU.
It seems to be bootable Using the software described above. However, we can not
check on our side
Please understand the situation.
2. Use in the boot forced to rewrite the SRAM.
There are ways to activate forces regardless of the device type as a function of
BIOSROM.
Just make a 6-bit of the address 0XED0070, but this as a specific method
I start up (1) DB.X.
I enter (2) MES E8E00D and (return)
Enter 31 (return), so come out and: (3) FF
I press (4) CTRL + C
Enter (return) (5) MES ED0070
Input and 4F (return), so Dell: 0F perhaps (6)
I press (7) CTRL + C
Input (8) MES E8E00D and (return)
Input and FF (return) because Dell: (9) FF
Exit (10) DB.X
I launch (11) SWITCH.X
Turn (ID of the disk you want to start?) SCSI? The place of (12) BOOT
Reboot To exit (13) SWITCH.X
That's it.

P.S. Here you can find detailed info about the addresses which are mentioned in the previous tutorial:

X68K PROGRAMMER'S MANUAL (incomplete version)
http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/X68k:PM

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

lydux

Hi Costa,

Most MB89352 based SCSI board are intended to be used on non SCSI models (ACE/PRO/Expert). As long as you can't change the base I/O address on your board, you'll not be able to use it on XVI as it will result in a conflict with the internal SCSI controller.
I can confirm this by analyzing the ROM source code of a MACH2 board, which is basically the same as your SACOM.

And in anyway you get it working, it will be complex to setup human68k for multiple (and same models of) SCSI host controllers. Available drivers are not really intend for such configuration...

Your only chance is to hook your cdrom drive to the internal SCSI chain.

costa

Eidis, this is really an "enrgrish" ... worst than mine!
;D

I really, really don't want to go this path. Thanks for your effort, that will not be necessary.
Please developments below in my next post.

Quote from: eidis on July 26, 2014, 09:24:51 AM
Hi Costa !

Some time ago I was searching for info for the X68000 FAQ and found something which might interest you. Be prepared for some heavy Engrish though.

Cause can not start SCSIHDD in TS-6BS2mk2 '
Though it is possible to ensure space and format in TS-6BS2mk2 'Some of the HDD
was released recently
Thing that it does not boot if you set as the startup disk came out. Of the NEC (eg
1GB, and SCSIHDD of 2GB)
In addition, this kind of phenomenon, Ya, X68030 series X68000SUPER, XVI,
CompactXvi
I get up in SCSI board of SHARP genuine. (All right in MACH2)
Cause, INQUIARY to determine whether the boot device in SCSIBIOSROM
This is because you are in a byte length of the request message when issuing the
message.
Nothing such a case, it is so I return it expanded to 4 bytes on the side of the drive to
the standard of SCSI1
It does not happen, but it is an error in SCSI2, the drive will have to return the 0X70.
The de becomes a non-bootable in 0X70 because it determines the device in the first
byte in the BIOS
You will not be able to start in order to lead to skip live.
Up version of BIOSROM is most effective as a countermeasure, but for those who do
not have such means
As a countermeasure,
1. I spend BOOTMENU.
It seems to be bootable Using the software described above. However, we can not
check on our side
Please understand the situation.
2. Use in the boot forced to rewrite the SRAM.
There are ways to activate forces regardless of the device type as a function of
BIOSROM.
Just make a 6-bit of the address 0XED0070, but this as a specific method
I start up (1) DB.X.
I enter (2) MES E8E00D and (return)
Enter 31 (return), so come out and: (3) FF
I press (4) CTRL + C
Enter (return) (5) MES ED0070
Input and 4F (return), so Dell: 0F perhaps (6)
I press (7) CTRL + C
Input (8) MES E8E00D and (return)
Input and FF (return) because Dell: (9) FF
Exit (10) DB.X
I launch (11) SWITCH.X
Turn (ID of the disk you want to start?) SCSI? The place of (12) BOOT
Reboot To exit (13) SWITCH.X
That's it.

P.S. Here you can find detailed info about the addresses which are mentioned in the previous tutorial:

X68K PROGRAMMER'S MANUAL (incomplete version)
http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/X68k:PM

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

costa

I am inclined to agree with you.
When I have the SACOM SCSI board inserted on the XVI, I can boot from floppy and see the external CDROM using the CDROM program, but I am not able to see the internal SCSI and its drive (actually, the CF Card).

I removed the SACOM board and plugged the CDROM to the XVI external SCSI connector (centronics) and can access the CDROM (drive D: ) using CDROM.X (after adding cddrv.sys to CONFIG.SYS). But I cannot access drive D: from command line. Looks like the SCSI driver is missing??? But how can it boot from the CF, which appears ad a A: SCSI drive ?

Actually, I don't mind, unless someone want to do some more tests, otherwise, that is enough for me. I can use the CDROM on XVI, and also on other models without SCSI using the SACOM BOARD.
Problem resolved from my point of view.

Thanks all.

Quote from: lydux on July 26, 2014, 12:30:05 PM
Hi Costa,

Most MB89352 based SCSI board are intended to be used on non SCSI models (ACE/PRO/Expert). As long as you can't change the base I/O address on your board, you'll not be able to use it on XVI as it will result in a conflict with the internal SCSI controller.
I can confirm this by analyzing the ROM source code of a MACH2 board, which is basically the same as your SACOM.

And in anyway you get it working, it will be complex to setup human68k for multiple (and same models of) SCSI host controllers. Available drivers are not really intend for such configuration...

Your only chance is to hook your cdrom drive to the internal SCSI chain.

eidis

Hi Costa !

QuoteJumpers in the SCSI boar dis set to 1-2 for both jumpers.
The cDROM is set uo ID 6.
The AztecMonster is set to ID 0, and the BIOS is set to boot from ID 0.

QuoteFinally you need a driver, the system can not read a cd-rom directly.  There are several, but susie is the simpliest,
just go to the prompt and type susie.x e: -idx   This will tell susie to look for a scsi device on in id ''x'' and assign to drive e.
With SUSIE you dont even need to turn the drive on during boot, you can turn it on after the system is booted if you get weird boot issues with a cdrom attached.  Note, somtimes ids dont match up exactly.  My cdrom is set to id3, but the computer finds it at id4...

Please forgive me for my foolish questions which I am about to ask. Did I understand correctly that right now your AztecMonster is set to ID 0, CDROM is set to ID6, the BIOS is set to boot from ID0 and the system refuses to boot from CF card if CDROM is switched on at boot time ? Have you tried connecting the CDROM to external SCSI port, booting from CF, loading SUSIE.X and then switching on the CDROM unit and trying to access it ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

costa

Hi Eidis.

With the setup you mentioned, I can boot from the CF - but only when the External SCSI is not plugged into the slot.
That is, I connected the CDROM to the XVI external centronics connector.

At any time, if I insert the SCSI board in one of the slots, it will not boot - ask for bootable media.

I want to believe that it can not have to SCSI boards at the same computer - I will run some tests with another X68K model this weekend and update this thread.

eidis

Hi Costa !

Could it be that there is some kind of problem with the CDROM's terminator ? Please post the model number of your drive and pic of your jumper settings.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

costa

Ok, there it is the verdict...

I connected the SCSI board on an ACE, and it is working nicely as drive C: and also using the CDROM.X utility.
So, SCSI board is  ok, cdrom drive is ok, and I can now transport software easily to the X68K.

Problem was trying to use another SCSI board with a XVI, probably the external SCSI was taking precedence and the computer was trying to boot from it - hence, the message about no media available?

I am done with this topic.
Thanks everyone.