GameSX mascot proposal

Started by eidis, June 26, 2014, 07:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eidis

Hi Guys !

Nintendo has Mario, SEGA has Sonic, but what about GameSX ? Most of you will agree that with addition of PC-98 and FM-TOWNS sections, to the already hugely successful X68000 section, the forum has become more Japanese.

There is a Japanese deity called Maneki Neko - the lucky beckoning cat which, if not mistaken, belongs in public domain.

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia about its folktales

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maneki_neko

The stray cat and the shop: The operator of an impoverished shop (or inn, tavern, temple, etc.) takes in a starving, stray cat despite barely having enough to feed himself. In gratitude, the cat takes up a station outside the establishment and beckons in new visitors, bringing prosperity as a reward to the charitable proprietor. Ever after, the "beckoning cat" has been a symbol of good luck for small business owners.[5]

The nobleman-warning cat: One day a luminary passed by a cat, which seemed to wave to him. Taking the cat's motion as a sign, the nobleman paused and went to it. Diverted from his journey, he realized that he had avoided a trap that had been laid for him just ahead. Since that time, cats have been considered wise and lucky spirits. Many Japanese shrines and homes include the figurine of a cat with one paw upraised as if waving, hence the origin of maneki-neko, often referred to as kami-neko in reference to the cat's kami or spirit. Depending on version, the story may cast the nobleman as one of various Japanese emperors, as well as historical characters such as Oda Nobunaga and the samurai Ii Naotaka.

The temple cat: This similar story goes that a wealthy feudal lord named Ii Naotaka was taking shelter under a tree near Gōtoku-ji temple (in Setagaya, Tokyo) during a thunderstorm. The lord saw the temple priest's cat beckoning to him and followed; a moment later the tree was struck by lightning. The wealthy man became friends with the poor priest and the temple became prosperous. When the cat died, supposedly the first maneki-neko was made in his honor.

The beheaded cat: A young woman named Usugumo, living in Yoshiwara in eastern Tokyo, had a cat, much beloved by her. One day, she had a visit from her friend, a swordsman. The cat suddenly went frantic, clawing at the woman's kimono persistently. Thinking the cat was attacking her, the swordsman severed the head of the cat, which flew through the air, then lodged its teeth into and killed a venomous snake on the support boards above, where it had been waiting to strike the woman. After the incident, Usugumo was devastated by the death of her companion, and would neither eat nor sleep. The swordsman felt guilty for what he had done and sad for the woman. He went to a woodcarver, who was called "the best in the land", who made him a carving of the cat, a paw raised in greeting. This cat image then became popular as the maneki-neko. When he gave the carving to her, she was overjoyed and lived her life again instead of suffering. A variant has the woman as a geisha, the swordsman replaced with her okiya's (geisha house's) owner, and the wooden cat made by a client of the courtesan lady.

The old woman's cat: An old woman, living in Imado in eastern Tokyo, was forced to sell her cat due to extreme poverty. Soon afterwards the cat appeared to her in a dream. The cat told her to make its image in clay. She did as instructed, and soon afterward sold the statue. She then made more, and people bought them as well. These maneki-neko were so popular she soon became prosperous and wealthy.

And here is whole site devoted to Maneki Neko
http://luckymanekineko.wordpress.com/2012/10/01/left-paw-or-right-black-white-or-red-decoding-the-lucky-cat/

I think that a white Maneki Neko with left paw raised (purity, happiness,  invites customers or people) would be the perfect mascot for GameSX.

Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

Andy-Antsinpants

I nominate Lawrence himself as mascot. ;)

RobIvy64

What's wrong with the mutron?

"Console Mods" lurker

eidis

Me bad, totally forgot about them. By the way, what exactly is a Mutron ? I keep asking this question to myself for many years.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

Segasonicfan

its gotta be....

Data East's sonic knock-off for Genesis!  a seal thats a pirate and runs like sonic, does it get any better than that?
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

SuperDeadite

Quote from: eidis on July 01, 2014, 02:19:47 AM
Me bad, totally forgot about them. By the way, what exactly is a Mutron ? I keep asking this question to myself for many years.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Mutron-kun is the star of the UPL arcade game Mutant Night.  Mutant Night is the precursor to Atomic Robo Kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJo784zyXNE