News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

XVI startup problem

Started by a24tanabe, June 13, 2014, 03:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a24tanabe

Sorry for delaying translation project.

XVI I used usually was broken. I checked PSU.It's behavior was singly OK.
(When I short PowerControl terminal and GND terminal, Power turns off)
But in assembly,when I turn main PSU switch on, green LED blinks three times,
and a fan of PSU starts rotating.
Then I turn front switch, it shows "insert proper disks".

What do blinks mean? Should I do? Please tell me.
Thanks.

eidis

A24Tanabe San,

This could be linked to bad SRAM settings or battery. Try pressing and holding CTRL when switching on the computer to clear it. I think that this method should work for every X68000 model which has internal SCSI interface. Try reseating all connectors in your X68000 as well. A long time ago I had a similar problem and it was related to poorly seated I/O slot riser.

If that does not help, try replacing capacitors in the PSU, motherboard and floppy drives. This is highly recommended if you have not done it already.

Does the system power down properly when you press the front soft-power switch ? If not, then the following article could give you some hints.

Soft power switch troubleshooting and repair
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:soft_power_switch_troubleshooting_and_repair

Best of luck and let us know how it went !
がんばって!

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

a24tanabe

Thank you eidis.

I replaced all capacitor(PSU,FDD,main board,control board) ,and with spare PSU ,it worked!
But I couldn't repair original PSU.I replaced capacitors,resistors,photo couplers,diodes,transistors,and so on.
I think some ICs is broken,but they are almost discontinued.
So I gave up repairing this PSU.

I found original PSU design was very old ,so most of important parts were discontinued.
I wanted to redesign PSU with today's technology.
But I can't now.I will study harder ,then I want to be able to do that.

I will turn into translation project.
I will make up the time spent in repairing.

Thank you for advices.

eidis

A24Tanabe San,

Glad to hear that your XVI has been repaired. Have you tried measuring the values of resistors in the PSU and checking if they match the color band ? They can look undamaged but their values can increase and no longer conform to the original specification.

Here you can find schematics for PSU which is used in PRO and EXPERT
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Schematics/PSU/

Good luck and thank you for the much needed help in translating !

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.