NES AV mod

Started by fragment, April 07, 2004, 06:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragment

I apologize if non RGB video mods do not belong here, but didn't see where else this was appropriate. I did the following mod:

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/nes2avmod.htm

and although the picture quality is much better than the RF output, it still is a little inferior to the original NES video. There are still little lines up and down the screen (I understand that the NES 2 had this problem). So is there anything I can do about this? I found that by touching a .10uF capacator from the video output to the video input, the colors were more vibrant, and the the lines faded a little. However, as a side effect there was a little ghosting. I heard of a technique on another mod where you connect video out to ground with a .10uF capacitor but that made the picture quality really bad. Any ideas on how to improve this picture?

Agentspikey95

try a 220uf just to see
Why are you reading this?

NFG

There has never been a successful mod to remove those lines as far as I'm aware.

Quotetry a 220uf just to see
now should I use that from video out to ground or to the video input?

Agentspikey95

just try the same way you did with the .10

Moosmann

Agentspikey95

in that first set of pics.....is that a tube or a pot?

Is that an S-video mod? The board photos below the first set of diagrams look like it  (the two on the right). I didn't know that any NES or Famicom had RGB output. Please let me know if that is something else.  

fragment

Quotetry a 220uf just to see
That was my post above, but also was wondering why a 220uF would be better than a .1uF?

Doesn't http://wwwkenya.freeuk.com/markk/ have something on this?
I recall there were problems like that with the Tri-Star, and there was some info on how to fix that...

NFG

In the tri-star and some of the Famiclones there was a similar problem but the solution )Solder a capacitor between GND and VCC on the VPU) doesn't fix the stripes on the NES2, unfortunately.

Sumez

QuoteMaybe ?
http://homepage1.nifty.com/~ds79/kamikaze/...icom_index.html
Does anyone know anything about that mod?
I didn't think it was possible on Famicom or NES consoles either, but that mod clearly improves the image.

I think that's the Players Choice 10 /(or whatever they were called) mod.
Those were those arcade machines with 10 NES games. It had a RGB chip and you can mod it into a NES system, but requires heavy mod work if I recall correctly. But it is RGB   :)

Sumez

Yeah, I know of those. It is probably the only reason people even buy Playchoice boards, since it's basically the same hardware as the NES.
In fact, I have plans to use one, which is why I have recently bought a Playchoice board on eBay. I was sort of hoping someone found a way on a famicom board without using a Playchoice graphics chip.
I'm also looking for a description of the infamous Playchoice RGB mod with pictures, though, but I'd prefer an English version. :)