Question: SCSI2SD Adapter

Started by e1000, February 07, 2014, 12:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e1000

Hi,

A friend sent this link as a suggestion to use with X68000.

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD

It is way cheaper than an Aztec Monster.

However, I have no idea about compatibility.

Any of you guys tested this hardware SCSI2SD with the X68k? Does it work?

Thanks!!!

e1000

lydux

I've been working on such idea recently.
I haven't tested it, but according to the schematics and source code, it should work. At least on SCSI based X68K.
For SASI, it might requires some firmware change because of some missing SCSI signals.
Thanks to the author : this is an open source project.

e1000

lydux

Well, such cable is a requirement for every SASI based X68000 ! But it will not be enough to get SCSI2SD working as is.
SASI machines miss 2 SCSI signals which are required by SCSI2SD : Device attention (/ATN) and Data parity (/DBP). Generally, those signals are optional and can be disabled on the device directly by some jumpers configuration. The SCSI2SD does not provide them onboard, however it seems to be possible by firmware configuration over USB :

Features

1. In-built active terminator.
    2. Can optional supply terminator power back to the SCSI bus
    3. Emulates a non-removable hard drive for maximum compatibility.
    4. Firmware updatable over USB
    5. Highly configurable over USB
        * Selectable SCSI ID
        * Selectable parity support
        * Enable/disable Unit Attention Condition
        * Artificial limits on the SCSI disk size (eg. limit size to 4G to avoid OS bugs)

So I guess it's ok ! :)

akumajo

Hi

Soon I will receive an x68000 SUPER and I'm interested by this SCSI2SD.
So in theory I just need this adapter, a regular scsi cable and molex connector ?

Thanks.

Neshek

Soon I will receive an x68000 SUPER and I'm interested by this SCSI2SD.
So in theory I just need this adapter, a regular scsi cable and molex connector ?

Thanks.
Hello :)

Aren't internal SCSI cables for x68000 26 pins to 50 pins?

akumajo

I would be glad to buy and try that SCSI2SD but I need to be sure about the scsi cable, anyone ?
Thanks.

neko68k

Refer to the images here. You have to scroll down a bit. The settings for the various adapters listed at the top may also be useful.

Chapter 2 Connecting the hardware

akumajo

ok, where can I buy such a cable for my X68000 SUPER ?

neko68k

If you're brave you can make them. Or you can find a company that will make you one.

neko68k

caius

akumajo

I bought an SCSI2SD, It was shipped 2 days ago. Will update as soon as possible.

Fratzengeballer

are there any updates on using this hardware? it looks interesting and like a nice solution. anyone else has any experience with this?

RadicalR

Quote from: Fratzengeballer on May 23, 2014, 08:58:24 PM
are there any updates on using this hardware? it looks interesting and like a nice solution. anyone else has any experience with this?

Same. I would like to know this as well.

a24tanabe

I got it yesterday. Then tried it on XVI.
In conclusion, it had no problem.
It was recognised as a normal SCSI device (ID=0).
And it is formatted by format.x and making partition was successful.

I used 2GB microSD card ,and I used SCSI cable and power cable that is used in junk XVI HD.

I wanted to use it for X68030, but it's internal SCSI connector is 40pin 2mm pitch.
I have to reserch pin assignment of this connector.

sakaiza91

Fantastic news! 

Neshek

Great news!

Soon the end of the 200 decibels hard drive?

Question to x68k gurus: Think it could be mounted in a first gen x68000 (CZ-600)?
I know there's external SASI but don't know about an internal connector on this model.

Could as well get rid of external enclosure and SCSI card to eventually replace it for a midi card..  8)

caius

CZ-600 should be SASI so I presume you can mount the SCSI2SD inside.

BlueBMW

Original model 68ks are sasi like the ace, expert and pro models but they dont seem to have a good mount point inside for a hard drive.  They have a power connector and there is room so it should be possible.  You may have to do some custom cabling work though.

Fratzengeballer

Thanks for your feedback.
Finally got my EXPERT yesterday, so after checking if it works I will for sure get one of these.
If none else tried it with the old SASI systems till then, I will do some pictures and write about how I hopefully got it to run :-D

akumajo

just to report, x68000 super + external scsi + scsi2sd works fine !

famiac

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but i'm kind of confused about something.

I don't have an X68k yet in front of me, which i think would have helped me answer my own question, but i will be buying one soon. However, i do have everything else I need for a proper set up, including an scsi2sd. I'll be getting at least an xvi so it will support scsi.

Does anybody know what kind of cable i would need to install the scsi2sd internally? What about externally?

Thanks!

eidis

Hi Famiac !

All your questions are answered in the following article. It has detailed info about how to connect a hard drive to SASI and SCSI models.

Hard drive on SASI machine
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:hard_drive_on_sasi_machine

P.S. SCSI models do not require SxSI SRAM driver. Don't bother with external hard drive, it will not look sexy.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

famiac

Hi eidis! Yeah i've read that link multiple times, but it's probably not really going to click until i have the computer in front of me, and i asked the question in this thread because i was hoping it would help me understand better.

Let me rephrase it i guess, what items would i need to purchase in order to make the cable for intednal scsi2sd?

eidis

Hi Famiac !

The following thread contains full BOM and links to eBay auctions:

external HD/CF reader
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5319.msg35921

This should work with X68000 XVI. The Compacts require completely different approach.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

famiac

Wow thanks eidis, you're a great help. (as always)