Please advice for Ram upgrade and keyboard fix

Started by Neshek, December 23, 2013, 04:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neshek

Hey there!

I've been feeling like sending Santa a letter asking for a memory upgrade. Considering the economical crisis, the poor old man won't certainly be able to bring me a 10mb xsimm on Yahoo.jp

So i have been wondering which is more interesting to get games running  and maybe some GUI such as sx-window. Not that 2mb are bad, but what would you do? :) Which one guys would you get in terms of advantages versus price?

This 2mb expansion? AICZ6BE2 haven't read about it anywhere but seems it could be upgraded later to 4mb?
http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d150313145

OR this 4mb expansion right away? PIO-6834-4M
http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g128563736

Now the keyboard i got has 2 small key issues.A black plastic part pressing the membrane of a key is broken so the key is loose and a membrane is probably dead as the key won't go back up after pressing. Can it be found somewhere on some shop online? I don't feel like buying another junk keyboard for a plastic part. Haven't checked the membrane but i guess it could be fixed but feel lazy maybe ;)

Thanks for your advices :)

SuperDeadite

Depends on what you want to do with the system.  If a Compact Flash Board is your goal, just save your pennies until you can afford the XsimX. 

Neshek

The old noisy SCSI hard drive is fine for now.. 10 meters away it could be bearable but no cable that long ^^' So thinking about CF sometimes but not in a hurry.

As for the XsimX, I'm more into the question of the benefits of 6mb total ram over 4mb so 12mb is beyond my understanding :)
Both 4 and 6mb capacities would be able to run off hd Daimakaimura (3mb needed iirc), Strider, SSF2, and some other games and i wonder if i'd get more benefit for sx-window and toying with few utilities. Maybe i'd miss a few games needing floppy emulation...
And i have memory hungry Illusion City (10 or 12 mb for HDD right?) on Mega-CD (don't throw rocks at me ;)

SuperDeadite

More RAM allows you to do some neat things.  Eternal World for example requires HDD, 6mb, and 16mhz or faster.

But the main benefit is for virtual floppy drive use.  Some games like Metal Sight and Illusion City are 7+ disks and only work off HDD via virtual drives.  Though for Illusion City you'd probably want to write it to floppies anyway as virtual drive images = read only, you can only temp save.

The other benefit is sure size.  Having a full 2gb is nice, as besides having a shit ton of games (I'm over 350 on my personal image), I also have a massive floppy image archive for disk writing.  Some of the CD-ROM games requires well over 100mbs to install as well, but those are mostly ADV games, so useless if you don't read Japanese well.

Neshek

Thanks for the answer SuperDeadite!
So i guess my original x68k would run great with 6mb. And could be used in a XVI later if i get one at some point. Ram upgrade can't be too slow for the 16mhz mode, am i right?

I already have a 4gb hard drive and CDrom drive. Still adding games to it, second partition is full of music thanks to Eidis images. But CF has many more pros, like easy transfers and updates on pc, noise, fast switching, etc.. Plus space could be saved with a smaller case for this stuff.It's a bit larger than the X68000..  It's on the wish list :)

gypsie

Quote from: SuperDeadite on December 23, 2013, 08:18:03 AM
Depends on what you want to do with the system.  If a Compact Flash Board is your goal, just save your pennies until you can afford the XsimX.

What is "XsimX" ?

Neshek

XsimmX=Xsimm10. 10mb memory expansion for your favorite computer :)

eidis

Dear SuperDeadite,

Quote: I'm over 350 on my personal image

I believe that most of your so called image contents are shameless rip off of my and Caius proper installs which we spent many hours of hard work, sweat and tears to achieve. You did not even bother to ask us for permission to use them in your Baller images so it makes me very sad to see that there are individuals who take 80% of others work who are in the same community, add some lazy method 2hdboot installed games and claim it as their work.

Oh, and yes, there will be V4 with proper installs for the 2MB RAM oriented users. Trust me, it will be awesome with some near impossible installs by Caius

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: eidis on December 25, 2013, 12:16:11 AM
Dear SuperDeadite,

Quote: I'm over 350 on my personal image

I believe that most of your so called image contents are shameless rip off of my and Caius proper installs which we spent many hours of hard work, sweat and tears to achieve. You did not even bother to ask us for permission to use them in your Baller images so it makes me very sad to see that there are individuals who take 80% of others work who are in the same community, add some lazy method 2hdboot installed games and claim it as their work.

Oh, and yes, there will be V4 with proper installs for the 2MB RAM oriented users. Trust me, it will be awesome with some near impossible installs by Caius

Eidis

The original baller image was an experiment, a test to see what could be done with multiple OS's.  And it was not a rip-off, the archive included a txt file giving credit to both of you by name, and citing the original V3 as it's source.  If you aren't happy with that, I really have nothing more I can say.  Regardless if you haven't noticed, my current images are no longer public for various reasons.

But either way, since you are clearly butt-hurt over this, I will stay out of your way and not help anyone anymore.  I hope you enjoyed my release of Direct-X cause it's the last one you will ever get from me.  Since then I've managed to dump some other lost games, and fix some incomplete ones such as Angel Dive (I have the full game, all public dumps are missing Stage 4), but you won't be getting them from me, as I'm clearly not welcome here.   Merry Christmas!

Neshek

Shit happened because of my thread.. Feeling guilty now :/
It's Christmas, fellow pagans, enjoy the moment, the common hobby and put aside these arguments, please..
If i knew, i would have killed the thread earlier with a godwin message or something..

John Lennon - Give Peace A Chance

NFG

Merry Xmas everyone!  Enjoy your drama.  ;_;

kendrick

I'm not active in the x68000 scene so I won't pretend to know the details of distribution or availability. But as moderator around here, I'm choosing to comment on the broader subject of acknowledgment and ownership.

Abandonware is a tricky subject. There's no legitimate retail avenue for x68000 software at this time, so the grey area of abandonware (in terms of software preservation) would appear to apply in a reasonable way. With that in mind, I have a problem with anybody asserting ownership over other people's software, even when there's work that goes into archival and imaging. That applies both to using someone else's disk image, and to the idea that someone could own a directory structure that contains games still technically under copyright.

Without taking sides, I'm going to say this: If you don't want people using your x68000 disk images in ways you don't approve of, then keep them for your own personal use and don't distribute them publicly. There's no expectation of privacy, licensing, or anything resembling open source sharing. It's polite to be acknowledged, and it's proper to ask for that recognition. But you release your work into the world at your own risk, and that risk includes the notion that somebody else takes your disk image and puts other stuff into it. The other side of that is, if you are going to use someone else's work first then you ought to ask first.

If some of the available disk images don't work properly or cause problems, then it's up to individual coders to point people to properly tested images instead. But don't expect any one authority to police usage or distribution, least of all me or Lawrence.

There's one other reason to keep the drama at a low volume. Right now, the x68000 scene flies under the radar because it's JPN-region, with a relatively low user base and no western nostalgia to drive demand. But the more noise we make, the more attention we draw from the people and the bots looking for IP and copyright infringement. The minute a DMCA takedown request comes across my screen, I will not be able to promise that this community can continue to communicate and exchange freely here. For that reason, I'd like to ask that users here communicate acknowledgment issues and requests privately and not on the public forums.

The TL:DR version is: Nobody actually owns anything in the x68000 world right now. If you release something, you relinquish control and can't expect anyone to ask for permission first. But you should really ask first if you can. And keep it quiet, and communicate grievances privately first.