Update to user registration agreement

Started by NFG, February 12, 2024, 09:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

I just updated the user registration agreement. This text, or words like it, have been in that agreement in the past, but wiped out during various updates to the forum software.

The summary is this: were building a repository of fun and informative things here, and I don't feel that anyone should be able to blow gaping holes in this repository when they change their mind, lose interest, have a fight or get hacked, or any of the countless other reasons people have had.

I liken it to submitting things to a publication. You can't demand all copies of that publication be retrieved and your content excised, and so you can't do it here. If you contribute to this community, you are awesome and you are welcomed and you are appreciated. If you later decide you don't want your stuff here, well...

The text of the agreement is this:

QuoteThe GameSX forum is a community effort, built by its members. The admin, NFG, does not claim ownership of your contributions. You cannot, however, delete your contributions.  If you want something deleted, contact NFG or kendrick.  No user has the power or right to blow holes in the community, and such requests will be considered on a case by case basis.

Your thoughts on this are welcomed.

kendrick

Hi everybody. As a reminder about the longevity of this policy, I invite you to take a minute to look at our implementation of GDPR and related rules at the relevant post here:

https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6456

Briefly, right-to-be-forgotten requests apply to your identity but not to the content you've contributed. That means that as a rule your user and contact information can be redacted, but your posts and any technical information you may have contributed remain part of the forum. However, special cases may apply and I'm happy to review or evaluate any requests that come in on a case-by-case basis. Thanks all.

Tak-MK

I do think it's a good change. I was on another forum where users could delete, not only their posts, but also their threads, and it was (and still is) a mess.