RGB-modded PAL N64, some help needed!

Started by metrolf, December 14, 2012, 11:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metrolf

A while ago I started working on getting my PAL N64 to output RGB. I could stand the horrible composite-video no longer! I found these forums and it seemed like the ideal place to dig up relevant information and it was ;) I decided to go with viletims RGB mod. A big thanks goes to viletim for providing the elusive RGB-DAC chip and to E5frog for sending me a circuit board to mount everything on and for providing tons of help, tips and guidance! Honestly wouldn't have gotten it done without the help :D

I'll throw up a few pics of the installation and the results, which is awesome 8)

The board completely assembled:

The board installed and ready to do it's thing:

I really hate this level...

Close up showing a star and Mario feeling a bit yellow. In RGB. Horrible joke.

Oh, and yeah; Bruno wants to fight!

The only slight problem I have is this. I do not know if I got a resistor value wrong on my mod or if it's simply supposed to be like this. The blocks on the wall seems a bit weird to me. It's the same in, for example, on the skies and on the walls in the temple of time in Ocarina of Time the same thing happens. No biggie tho, just wondering if anyone knows what might be causing this if it's not supposed to look like this.

One last thing: I first hooked the scart-plug into a Smartlink Scart-socket on my TV and after five minutes the picture started bleeding colours all over, eventually ending up with a screen covered in colorful smudge then it went black. For an hour or so the console didn't output anything but noise. I was convinced everything was fried and destroyed and was almost crying at this point  :'( Then the next day I remembered something I read somewhere about smartlink-scart sockets. I think these smartlinks sends power back and forth across some lead in the cable and since the N64 and the RGB DAC wasn't made to receive anything at all it overheated or something. I think. So I switched to another input-socket and the picture is stable now and works flawlessly at all times ;D I was relieved, you might say...

Well I guess thats it. Turned out great. And these forums are awesome 8)

radorn

overheating N64 / RCP funkiness with 1080

Is that what you get? explanation in the description.
I'm not really the most indicated to give advice concerning electronics, but it seems safe to assume that you need shorter and/or lower impedance wires? I'd try that. Good luck! ;)

metrolf

Quote from: radorn on March 05, 2013, 12:56:27 PM

Is that what you get? explanation in the description.
I'm not really the most indicated to give advice concerning electronics, but it seems safe to assume that you need shorter and/or lower impedance wires? I'd try that. Good luck! ;)

Hmm, very interesting.. Thanks! It looks like it may be the same thing, alltough in my case it's not nearly as bad tho  :P
I'll try to shorten the wires and see if it gets better.

Thanks again

metrolf

Ok, so I tried to shorten the wires, but still the same. I'll post some more pictures. Also another problem seem to have emerged... The picture seems so go purple. A purple tint covering the entire picture :-\ Not sure why it suddenly happened, but it may be related to some tight space when closing the case of the 64. It first occured after 15 min of playing majoras mask. I'll try to rearrange the wires and see if it fixes itself ??? Adding pics of this too.

Walls in the Temple of Time are weird:

So are the gloomy skies:

And then everything turned PURPLE! WTF?!

Personally, I don't have the slightest clue about what's going on, but if someone does; they are bound to be on these forums. I hope someone can help me out, that would be awesome!  :D