Component to RGB comparison

Started by SMC, March 26, 2004, 03:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMC

How does component video compare to RGB in terms of picture quality?  Also, is it possible to make Component cables for older consoles (i.e. snes, TG16, Genesis, etc.)?  

Vertigo

As far as I know from Lawrence's fine article on the matter, Component goes through an extra decoding phase so is marginally less good but to be honest if you have access to component then stick with it coz the difference is just about imperceptible unless you have a set that's really dodgy with displaying either of the two.

Endymion

I have two different 15KHz RGB monitors for gaming--a Commodore 1084, and a Sony PVM 2530. I have two different TVs that accept component inputs; one is a standard 4:3 ratio Sharp 27 inch TV, the other is a Philips 16:9 HDTV (CRT) monitor , the Sharp can only do an interlaced component broadcast, the Philips can do progressive.

On both TVs, the interlaced broadcasts produce a very nice, very pleasing colour which is visibly superior to S-video even during fast moving play, animation, etc. Neither of them look as nice or as bright as the interlaced RGB broadcasts appear on my 1084 or Sony PVM, however. When progressive scan is enabled on the Philips HDTV monitor, it's another story entirely. The image is really indistinguishable to my eyes from RGB, and brings with it smoother animation; the higher resolution eliminates any jagged or zipper-like appearances along vertical and diagonal lines--a problem of interlacing that becomes very obvious to me with the more advanced systems on my RGB monitors. Some games appear to play more responsively from the better animation, but this just could be my imagination.

I haven't yet bought in to an RGB-to-component adapter to see how well it works with older interlaced consoles' RGB, but if you are a Gamecube, PS2, or Xbox enthusiast it is definitely worth your expense to jump to a progressive HDTV.

atom

Yeah, big screen hidef (especially progressive) is prolly a lot nicer then my 9 inch applecolor rgb monitor!
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

SMC

I've also read that some TV's with component inputs will also accept RGB, so maybe I won't need cables for the older systems (eventually).  Problem is the only one I've found so far that claims to have this feature is a 35" phillips HDTV monitor going for around $550 bucks  :(   .

Endymion

I'd love to know where you saw a 35" Philips progressive HDTV monitor for only 550USD? Am I right in assuming it is a 4:3 ratio?

A couple of years ago various HDTVs started receiving VGA inputs--strictly speaking this is the kind of RGB you'd want, but shortly after the VGA ports made the rounds, there was a push to replace them with DVI. The problem with this is that there are two kinds of DVI, one is analogue compatible, the other is digital--and therefore not analogue compatible, which means, you guessed it, most every manufacturer that removed the VGA for DVI used the digital version. (DVI-D) There is really no easy or cost-effective method of converting the analogue signals your older consoles use for RGB over to DVI-D, and that's why they did it--they call it "plugging the analogue hole," and consider it another way of stopping pirates from having another way of copying and enjoying movies and other media displayed from their computers.

When I was looking for the HDTV that I eventually bought, I couldn't find any VGA or DVI-capable HDTV for under a thousand dollars. So, long story short, my HDTV doesn't have one. But then I was also only looking at the 16:9 televisions.

Vertigo

QuoteI'd love to know where you saw a 35" Philips progressive HDTV monitor for only 550USD? Am I right in assuming it is a 4:3 ratio?
Yeh, I thought this when I read it, I'd definitely shell out $550 for that even if it's not my preferred brand of choice. Maybe he left a 0 off the end?

SMC

I saw it at walmart.  It wasn't a flat screen and for the most part looked like a normal TV, but the info card called it an "HDTV monitor" and the label on the set confirmed this.  I think it had two resolutions listed, but I can't remember what they were.

Guest_Stephen_Ri

The one you saw is probably the lowest-quaity HD set on the market. I've seen it with an HD feed and it didn't even look like HD. Zenith sells inexpensive but good quality HD sets. I got a 27" with VGA for like $500 at Circuit City. The newer model has more features, including DVI but no RGB. My set'll do 640x480 and if you've got the right card(Radeon series) it'll do 960x540p and some other resolutions.