N64 RGB stuff

Started by GUTS, December 01, 2012, 01:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GUTS

I have a motherboard NUS-CPU-04 and found a couple things that I was wondering if anyone here could explain, as I don't know much about the N64's chips. I'm using a JRok RGB->Component converter.

I wired the RGB directly from the VDC-NUS-A (U4) to the multi-out pins like the guide says, but I couldn't get it to sync on the title screen of Mario 64 for some reason. The levels would sync ok, but when it switched to Mario's face or the logo it would just go nuts. Also, I had a dark picture like the guide warns.

So I cut the trace to the sync pin, and then worked my way backwards to see if something was messing with it. Anyway, I ended up on pin 5 of the ENC-NUS chip (U5), which all of sudden fixed all the sync problems when I went directly from the chip to the output. I can't find a pinout for this chip, but I know it encodes S-Video and composite video. I was under the impression that the older N64 units like mine outputted the correct sync to the pin on the multi-out, so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. Is it my Jrok just not liking it? Something extra added along the way?

Also, I accidentally ground pin 23 of the VDC-NUS-A chip while looking for where to get the sync, and all of a sudden the picture brightened to normal levels. This is something I haven't seen mentioned in any of the RGB guides, so I was wondering if just leaving the pin grounded will eventually hurt anything?

Anyway, I was just curious, I've let the system run for a while and everything seems to be working great, but it'd be nice to know why what I did got it working, ha. Thanks!

unshe

Hi Guts.
I have the same board.
About the Sync you can rebuilt it whit the missing components. Or use a Sync Separator (lm1881) with the composite. I used Y signal trough a 75ohm resistor. It works well on my Samsung Led-Lcd. But if it is working pointing the pin 5 directly to the av-ou for you... good.
About the boost you are using on the vdc-nus, it is well know to be dangerous. The chip will warm. Just use a THS7314 ampli.
All the that you need for the modifications above are well reported in the Mmmonkey's site.

GUTS

Oh ok, thanks man! I couldn't find any info on the boost, so that is a big help. I'll check out mmonkey again, I'd read his guide in the past, but must have just totally forgotten about it:( Thanks again!