Converting BMP to X68000 PIC and vice versa

Started by eidis, March 03, 2012, 11:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eidis

Hi Guys !

Here are some useful tools which will help you convert graphics images from PC to X68000 and vice versa. PIC is the default picture standard for X68000, unfortunately the support for this format was dropped ~20 years ago. However, if pushed to the limit, results are very impressive. Please note that in order to convert an image to PIC its resolution must be 512 x 512 pixels.

BMP2PIC - Must be executed on X68000. Source code is included, so if any coding guru could port it to PC that would be awesome.
http://nfggames.com/X68000/Misc/BMP2PIC%20v0.03/b2pic003.lzh

PIC2BMP
http://nfggames.com/X68000/PC_Tools/pic2bmp.lzh

MAG2BMP
http://nfggames.com/X68000/PC_Tools/mag2bmp.zip

Both of these are for PC.

And finally, here's proof of concept ;)

P.S. This nice picture can be found in the previously released MDX music image MusTool directory.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

BlueBMW

A very nice picture it is indeed!  Is there a relationship between X68k interest and E30 interest?  Since I know RobIvy64 and I both love E3os hehe

eidis

I have an E36 2.5i Sedan LagunenGrun metallic which was repainted on previous year. The idea was to restore it to its former glory. (will post pics when I'll change to summer rims)  It breaks down all of the time but I like that car very much. Why do I call it Urlacar ? Because in early 90's Russian gangsters and wanna bee gangsters (pacani) drove around in them, only in black ones. So where I live, during the years, some common stereotypes about BMW owners/drivers have developed:

They have low IQ
You don't want to mess with them because they are usually strong, aggressive and know martial arts or how to box
They drive by their own rules

The result - Everyone is polite to BMW drivers on road ;) I even managed to convert two haters. One has bought a brand new F25 and the other one used E46 station wagon.

E30 is a track legend and I like to see results of what skilled hands can do to it (tuning and driving). Youtube is a living proof. :)

Allmost forgot. Old BMW is very similar to X68000. The maintenance is real pain in the a** but the reward of using it afterwards is well worth it.

Eidis

P.S. Please post pics of your E30 ;)
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

BlueBMW

Excellent comparison with the X68000!

I don't have this car anymore sadly :(  My brother desperately needed a vehicle, and I knew he loved to drive it so I sold it to him cheap.  Now I'm driving a 95 740il and I've got a 95 530i undergoing an engine / transmission swap  (3.0l v8 auto -> 4.0l v8 6 speed)

This was a 91 318is.  I loved the balanced feel that the 4 cylinder gave you in the E30.  While it was light on power, it was never short on fun!

Hopefully RobIvy64 will post his E30, its a beauty!

eidis

Wow !

That's quite a collection you have. E38 was my original goal but sadly I'm not rich enough to afford it. Great car tho ! So now we know at least three BMW owners who have X68000 as well. Im guessing that there are probably more out there. Here's last years pic of my green dragon from inside ;)

http://content22-foto.inbox.lv/albums187127701/eidis/X68000/My-Chocolate-Bembis.jpg

Eidis

P.S. Show me your E38 ;)

neko68k

This is not my car personally but my first car was a 1976 BMW 2002.

eidis

The 2002 is awesome and a legend of its own. Lawrence, what about you !? ;)

Eidis

NFG

RobIvy64

Some great cars in here!

My current daily-driver is a 1991 BMW 325IC, this gal:

Before that, my daily driver was this:

And then, before the 2002:

"Console Mods" lurker

eidis

Hi Guys !

I have a proposal for a slide show which will run on X68000 !  Let's make it a tribute to the almighty BMW. Please upload any pictures which you think will do the cause justice to NFGGames FTP file archive from here:

http://nfggames.com/X68000/upload.htm

I'll make a nice slideshow when we will have enough quality material.

Keep both scenes alive ! ;)
Eidis

famiac

Sorry for resurrecting this thread. I meant to post this a long time ago, but better late than never!
I recompiled an old utility for image conversion to work on newer computers. The code needed a bit of work but it's functional

Here's a command line tool for converting from .bmp to .pic:
64-bit windows
32-bit windows
Source

neko68k

I don't think there such a thing as necro threads in here :D I guess as a small follow up, Susie with the plugin pack loads most of the ancient JP formats and can save them back out as something normal.

Susie
Plugins

mez

thanks for these tools guys, i will use them.

famiac

Ah yeah i forgot about SUSIE. I figured batch converts are still useful though, unless SUSIE does that as well