Power supply swap in an Expert

Started by BlueBMW, February 06, 2012, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

I recently received a non working X68k Expert HD system.  After a failed attempt at rebuilding the stock power supply, I found a small ATX replacement and shoehorned it in.  For others looking to perform a replacement of their power supply, the unit I used fits great!

Its an Apevia ITX-AP250W

At the time of this posting, they are available from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110788590530

And here's some pics of it before and after installation.  Note I plugged the original PSU fan into the connector inside the new PSU and removed the new PSU's tiny fan.

And if anyone wants to attempt to recap their PSU before it blows and destroys diodes etc, here's a cap chart I made for it:

mdl

A simple cap swap is NOT enough--the reason the things die in the first place is due to incorrectly specced components by Sharp.

There is a Japanese guide to repairing the Tetris block power supplies with the correct components, but I keep putting off translating the parts list.

eidis

X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

BlueBMW

That's what I was hearing was that the deficiencies in the original power supply are more than just old capacitors.  I had the capacitors on hand so it was worth a shot. 

Question, the compact XVI I got from robivy, how does it's power supply compare to the one in the expert?  Similar issues?